Wing injury and now can't walk?

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
I have a 15 week legbar who flew into a door frame 2 weeks ago. I didn't notice any issue until the next day where her one wing was drooping slightly. I tried wrapping it, but that made her frantic and she was otherwise acting normal, other than not using that wing. I decided to let her be. Fast forward to a few days ago, she now can't walk. I have her isolated and she isn't eating or drinking much. I found her on her back yesterday morning. I'm not sure how a wing injury could cause all these other issues. Is there any illness that would have an effect on wing usage and progressively effect other parts of her? Could she have injured something else while trying to be mobile without the wing?
I called the only avian vet near me and was quoted $382+ for an exam, blood work and xrays. I unfortunately cannot afford that. Is there anything I can do for her?

Was your pullet vaccinated for Mareks disease? That may be a possible problem, and she is at the age when symptoms cannshow up. Hopefully, it is not that, but I would start her on some human vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily. Keep her food and water near to her. Consider making making her a chicken sling.

Was your pullet vaccinated for Mareks disease? That may be a possible problem, and she is at the age when symptoms cannshow up. Hopefully, it is not that, but I would start her on some human vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily. Keep her food and water near to her. Consider making making her a chicken sling.
She wasn't vaccinated to my knowledge. Is it possible for her to be the only one with symptoms if it's mareks? She came with 2 others the same age and they are fine.

I made a sling and she is eating eggs. I only have b complex capsules so I guess I will eye a 1/4 of one. I'm just not sure how she will recover from what ever this is.
Depending on what is going on, she could make a full recovery. I've read some amazing stories about birds recovering from some insane ailments. Once you start the treatment, hopefully you'll see improvements. If she's been laying around a lot before you made her a sling, you might want to take a look at her chest area to make sure she hasn't formed a breast blister. These can happen with birds but if she's been spending a lot of time resting on her keel bone, she could have a wound and if so, you'll want to keep an eye on it. Hopefully you won't find anything and she'll start improving very soon 💜 Cheering for her to make a full recovery

Depending on what is going on, she could make a full recovery. I've read some amazing stories about birds recovering from some insane ailments. Once you start the treatment, hopefully you'll see improvements. If she's been laying around a lot before you made her a sling, you might want to take a look at her chest area to make sure she hasn't formed a breast blister. These can happen with birds but if she's been spending a lot of time resting on her keel bone, she could have a wound and if so, you'll want to keep an eye on it. Hopefully you won't find anything and she'll start improving very soon 💜 Cheering for her to make a full recovery
Her breast area looks fine. She does have a small blister? At the joint on her wing. I'm hoping she does recover as she is only 1 of 3 legbars that I have.

B complex is very safe and hard to overdose. Any excess is excreted in the kidney waste. She doesn’t need more than 1/4 but she could tolerate 1/2 tablet daily. They will crush easily, and they will dissolve in a spoonful of water. You can give it with a dropper or syringe, or put it in her food.

See you can get her some watermelon or sugar water to get her blood sugar up, she may eat for you then. She may have been bullied by the other chickens when they saw that her wing was damaged. Chickens will attack injured hens. Were you able to see if there's bruising under her feathers or any wounds?

See you can get her some watermelon or sugar water to get her blood sugar up, she may eat for you then. She may have been bullied by the other chickens when they saw that her wing was damaged. Chickens will attack injured hens. Were you able to see if there's bruising under her feathers or any wounds?
I gave her honey water by syringe last night. I don't see any wounds on her.

Back
Top Bottom