Wing problem?

HudokFarm

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Minnesota
I will use the provided Q & A for my situation:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a 3 year old Red Sex Link of normal or slightly generous weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She had bumble foot on her right foot four weeks ago. Did the "surgery" and she is improving. She still limps mildly due to new skin growing in over the area on her foot. Has not roosted since the surgery. Saturday I noticed she was acting odd; she is holding her left wing low and was not as chipper as normal. Sunday the joint at the front of the wing (connecting the humerus to the radius/ulna) was swollen.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Today is day #3.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
I find no superficial signs of injury.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
The only think I can think of is that she lost her balance at some point from limping on the right foot and tried to balance with the left wing and injured it somehow. The only other thing I noticed that was odd was that she has been hiding in the haystacks this weekend. I found her one day in a small indentation made in the hay and trying to press herself in as far as she could.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She certainly has no problems eating! Still comes running for healthy and cooling treats.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None. All I did was felt the joints and noticed a stark difference in size from the left to the right. A small bit of heat too, but not blazing hot in the swollen joint.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would like to administer an anti-inflammatory if that will help. I am thinking that this is something that will heal; I just want her to be comfortable. I intend to self-treat; between us all we have a bit of experience with farm animal care.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I will try to get a photo tonight if that will help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Horse-converted-to-coop with straw bedding. 100% free ranging during the day with her 4 coop-mates.

Will an anti-inflammatory hurt her at this point? Is there anything else I should be doing. I want to leave her in the coop in a kennel to rest, but she gets lonely. When they come out of the coop in the AM, she heads up to one of our open barns (that has dirt/sand flooring) and hangs out in there all day. The other 4 hens come visit her during the day and they have community dust baths as well so she has lots of company. Might the activity hurt her, though? Thank you for any advice!

Back
Top Bottom