Wing ripped off!

featherlocklear

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2016
hey everyone!
I had a terrible thing happen the other day. I had an attack on my coop which resulted in the death of four of my “grow outs”. A fisher cat literally ripped the birds through the grates of the coop in the middle of the night. They chose to sleep up against the door instead of on the roost. I never thought something like this would happen! Anyway one of the birds lived but had it’s wing ripped completely off, almost with surgical precision. There was very little bleeding. I’ve cleaned and sprayed with antibiotic spray. The bird is eating and drinking and acting normal. What do you guys think it’s chance of a normal life is? I do not know if it’s a pullet or cockerel. It’s approximately 7 weeks old. Thank you in advance

A lot depends on if there is any infection in the wound, or if bone is exposed. Chickens can live fine without a wing, but when bones are exposed, infection can be a serious problem. Disinfectants, such as Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) or Betadine (povidone iodine) can be used to clean the wounds. Vetericyn Wound Spray is also good, and an antibiotic ointment such as plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment is good to apply after each cleaning.

Can you post any pictures? Do you see any bone exposed? Is she eating and drinking? I would make sure that the coop is predator proof and 1/2 hardware cloth is very good to keep raccoons and other predators from reaching through the wire to harm your birds. Very sorry that you lost some birds. Hopefully your young chicken will survive. Keep us up to date on her progress.

Back
Top Bottom