Wing sexing for baby chicks (Silkies) possible?

SilkieMomBayArea

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2022
Hi, I have a few baby Silkie chicks and they are about 3 days old. How accurate would it be to sex them by looking at the wings? I feel like 2 of the chicks might be female (more defined feathers) and one might be a boy (looks like the feathers are all one length and shorter than the other two chicks' feathers). Not experienced with this though so I'm attaching a picture of one I think may be female and one that may be male. Let me know what you think!
wing2.jpg
wing1.jpg

How accurate would it be to sex them by looking at the wings?
If you know that the mother has the dominant slow-feathering genetics and the father has the recessive fast-feathering genetics it is really accurate within a couple of days of hatch. If you are not sure of both of those it is 50% accurate, same as tossing a coin.

If you know that the mother has the dominant slow-feathering genetics and the father has the recessive fast-feathering genetics it is really accurate within a couple of days of hatch. If you are not sure of both of those it is 50% accurate, same as tossing a coin.
Thanks.

A more accurate way to sex all birds if you're not aware of their genetics is vent sexing. In my opinion, vent sexing is just as easy and more accurate. But you will have to wait at least a week probably to vent sex.

Hi, I have a few baby Silkie chicks and they are about 3 days old. How accurate would it be to sex them by looking at the wings? I feel like 2 of the chicks might be female (more defined feathers) and one might be a boy (looks like the feathers are all one length and shorter than the other two chicks' feathers). Not experienced with this though so I'm attaching a picture of one I think may be female and one that may be male. Let me know what you think!View attachment 3366880View attachment 3366881
I have successfully done this with silkies. I had 4 boys and one girl. There is a cut or gap in the females and the boys are straight w no gap. The boys also have more prominant feathers going back on their heads in a short time. Hope this helps. I just did this with my one chick who hatched 6 days ago. It's a girl. I will take a Pic for you.
She is tiny. But Def a girl!! Sorry for my unmade bed it's 7 am here. Lol

Attachments

• how-to-sex-a-chicken-768x604.jpg
    how-to-sex-a-chicken-768x604.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231013_070611.jpg
    20231013_070611.jpg
    658 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231013_070522.jpg
    20231013_070522.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 21
I have successfully done this with silkies. I had 4 boys and one girl. There is a cut or gap in the females and the boys are straight w no gap. The boys also have more prominant feathers going back on their heads in a short time. Hope this helps. I just did this with my one chick who hatched 6 days ago. It's a girl. I will take a Pic for you.
She is tiny. But Def a girl!! Sorry for my unmade bed it's 7 am here. Lol

Back
Top Bottom