Wing sexing

Nov 18, 2023
The Sooner State
So, in the last days of October we hatched 15 chicks in our incubator. After one day we looked at all of their wings because we had heard about wing sexing, that females wings the feathers are the same length, whereas males wing feathers are long then short. There were some that screamed BOY! IM A BOY! And then some that screamed GIRL! IM A GIRL!
But I recently saw a thread that wing sexing only works for specific breeds! Is that true?! I hope it’s not because then they could be anything. Our miracle chick, who hatched after all of them, a welsummer Easter egger mix who we named Marcy, we thought was a girl, and might still be. Please give me your info on chick sexing!

Do you have a picture? Sounds like they hatched around 6 weeks ago. We can make reasonable guesses on most breeds about this age.
Well, they are all mixed breeds(a few might possibly be true Easter eggers) and they hatched October 30th and the 31st. Would you like pics of the wings or of the chicks? They are 3 1/2 weeks old.

Well, they are all mixed breeds(a few might possibly be true Easter eggers) and they hatched October 30th and the 31st. Would you like pics of the wings or of the chicks? They are 3 1/2 weeks old.
I read 15 chicks in October and somehow my brain thought October the 15th lol. That is pretty young to get an accurate answer but if you have some clear pictures without a heat lamp I’m sure plenty of folks around here would chime in with best guesses.

I read 15 chicks in October and somehow my brain thought October the 15th lol. That is pretty young to get an accurate answer but if you have some clear pictures without a heat lamp I’m sure plenty of folks around here would chime in with best guesses.
IMG_0221.jpeg
IMG_0202.jpeg

Well here’s a couple pics of my babies today, if these are the kind of pics you want.

Wing sexing only works with certain crosses because it uses sex linked feather growth genetics.
To work you have to cross a fast feathering male with a slow feathering female.

Top one is a female.
Any that were a chipmunk patterned chick. (Stripes down the back) females will get reddish breast feathers like that one is getting.
Males will feather in with black breast feathers.

Top one is a female.
Any that were a chipmunk patterned chick. (Stripes down the back) females will get reddish breast feathers like that one is getting.
Males will feather in with black breast feathers.
Thanks, that was our guess. According to the design of their wing feathers at day one, we thought the top one is a girl and then bottom is a boy. Thanks for the info!

Ya I have no guess on the bottom one. No tales with its red pattern. Have to wait on comb growth or lack of with that one.

Back
Top Bottom