Wing was Green, some advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JohnsonHomestead, Nov 7, 2011.

1. JohnsonHomestead

JohnsonHomestead Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    I just took 3 young roosters off feed bill to put on our menu, my concerns are about one of these birds had a wing tip that after getting all the feathers off you could tell it had been broken and going to say from the color that it was gangrenous, if this had been an ivy it would have looked good, but it was a chickens wing tip.

The bird had been very healthy, actively growing. No signs of any problems. I removed the complete wing from the carcass and did not see anything unhealthy, tissue or blood, no "wrong" smells. All internal organs were proper color, liver, lungs, heart. My question is, would this bird still be safe to eat if handled and cooked properly?

2. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    When chickens bruise, it also looks green. So it could just be that.

3. JohnsonHomestead

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    Quote:Ok, didn't know that, I didn't cut the bad looking area open, didn't want to run chance of spreading it around.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have had that happen. It is perfectly safe to eat, but because it looks aesthetically displeasing it is usually discarded. The first time I saw green bruising was in some meaties I processed. The green was in a few of the breasts along the keel. We were so upset and thought that the meat would need to be discarded, but some old farmers laughed at us and told us that chickens turn green when they get a bruise and that the meat was fine. I still discarded it because I couldn't bear to eat green chicken. It just offended all my sensibilities.

Good luck.

5. JohnsonHomestead

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    one of those I have missed over the years, never seen it before. I won't eat green eggs and ham, so spinach green chicken was a concern,lol. so will just be short the one wing this time, just glad it wasn't a chest bruise, because would have trashed that bird. at least now I will know it happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by