winter advice?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EllieJ, Mar 2, 2013.

1. EllieJ

EllieJ New Egg

Mar 2, 2013
    Trying to convince my husband it is completely reasonable to have two or three backyard hens. The big hold-up now is winter housing. We live in the upper Midwest where it can be below freezing for days / weeks at a time. We had 10 inches of snow last week, and nine more are predicted next week. Is it appropriate / humane to keep chickens outside in such conditions? If necessary to bring them inside, how do we keep them happy while confined? (Husband is not going to go for free-range house chickens!)
    Thanks for any help!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: They won't be "outside" if you build a coop.
    They can stand the cold as long as they have a dry, draft free shelter.

With your temperatures, I'd make sure to have electricity available to run a water heater of some type. Otherwise they can survive well where you are

You do NOT want chickens anywhere in your house

Wait until Spring, get your coop/run constructed, and THEN think about getting the birds

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Bear Foot farms. Build a good coop, get your chicks later when the weather is better. Then by fall you will have a better idea of their needs in cold weather and how to provide it.

Winter is no time to be experimenting.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
  5. EllieJ

EllieJ New Egg

Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks all for the links. Don't worry, we're completely in planning phase only right now. Doing my homework...

6. trapper john

trapper john Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Wasilla alaska
    I live in alaska chickens do just fine up here it can drop to -25 or -30 styrofoam sheet ins will work wonders in a coop with a heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by