Winter and lack of Sunshine

chuckzoo

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
It is more often overcast and raining here in the winter and since I have my coop and run under a large oak tree that is taking it's good old time to shed it's leaves it is rather dark where my chickens are. I have my old, small run that has a wooden floor and is covered with straw for them to go in when it is very cold. It opens out into the new run.

I was wondering if it would be beneficial to add a light that contains the same spectrum as sunlight that one can buy for retiles for my chickens. I am sure that the lack of vitamin D must have some effect on them. I do not intent to keep the light on for 14-16 hours to keep them laying I would prefer for them to rest during this time and besides I have 2 younger hens now 8 months that are laying so we have eggs.

It can't hurt. Every one of us is starting to feel the effects of the long nights, short days and general lack of sunshine. Just be cautious about how you secure your lights and run your power. Lights can cause more problems than they cure by starting unintentional fires.

Good luck.

Living in the often overcast PNW (which I LOVE!), I take supplemental vitamin D. I was thinking that the chickens would probably benefit from a source of vitamin D but I don't want to supplement light. The run is covered with a solid roof so the only time they get sunlight is when they have supervised free time. In reading about chicken nutrition, I'm thinking about cod livier oil added to a daily ration of treats but I have no clue how much to add. Would there be other sources of vitamin D I should consider or anyone know how much cod liver oil to add?

Wow, I never thought of the vitamin D thing. We only get about 5hrs of sunlight here this time of year and living on the side of a mountain shields what little we do get. Do chickens even need vitamin D ? I will supplement if needed.

Back
Top Bottom