Winter care for my hens

Annalee Robin

Chirping
Aug 25, 2018
Hello Friends, I am relatively new to the world of owning hens. I love my girls so much, and I want them to have a clean and healthy environment. I've been cleaning their coop weekly and we just had our first snow this past week in Connecticut. I feel that it's not good to let them go outside their coop in the snow- I don't want them to get frostbite. Should I use the deep litter method and spot clean their coop until the snow melts? I'd appreciate your advice very much. Thank you so much and Happy Thanksgiving to all my new friends out there! Best, Annalee

Just north of you in mass. We too had our first snow this week. The hens love being out. I use pine shavings in the coop with poop boards. Skip twice per week and clean out the shavings twice a year. No smell. It helps that they are out in the enclosed run every day or the auxiliary run when we're are home.

Edit... make that SCOOP twice per week.

Attachments

• 20181117_091047.jpg
    20181117_091047.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Just north of you in mass. We too had our first snow this week. The hens love being out. I use pine shavings in the coop with poop boards. Skip twice per week and clean out the shavings twice a year. No smell. It helps that they are out in the enclosed run every day or the auxiliary run when we're are home.
Thank
Thank you so much Songster! I feel relieved to hear they'll be okay in the snow! Thanks for sharing! Best, Annalee

Hello Friends, I am relatively new to the world of owning hens. I love my girls so much, and I want them to have a clean and healthy environment. I've been cleaning their coop weekly and we just had our first snow this past week in Connecticut. I feel that it's not good to let them go outside their coop in the snow- I don't want them to get frostbite. Should I use the deep litter method and spot clean their coop until the snow melts? I'd appreciate your advice very much. Thank you so much and Happy Thanksgiving to all my new friends out there! Best, Annalee
Welcome from CT also! The hens did not have any interest in going outside when I opened the door yesterday to let them out.
So I shoveled a path for them and a few went in and out briefly, this morning I used the tractor and opened up alot more area for them and no sooner did I leave they all came running out. I wouldn't worry about frost bite they will go in when needed. I have a poop board under roost with flake pine shavings on top of it. Clean that off 1-2 times a week. Bottom of coop I have several inches of pine flakes and they don't really get dirty.
This is them a few minutes ago:
KIMG0141.jpg
JPEG_20181117_094102_363721524.jpg
KIMG0140.jpg

Last edited:
Your Chickens should be given the opportunity to go outside daily if they chose too. They will enjoy going out on sunny days.
Thank you so much! Unfortunately I can't let them out daily because there is not a fenced in yard, and no one is home during the week because we're working- but they go outside on weekends. Thank you again! Annalee

Edit... make that SCOOP twice per week.
By the way your coop is beautiful!

Welcome from CT also! The hens did not have any interest in going outside when I opened the door yesterday to let them out.
So I shoveled a path for them and a few went in and out briefly, this morning I used the tractor and opened up alot more area for them and no sooner did I leave they all came running out. I wouldn't worry about frost bite they will go in when needed. I have a poop board under roost with flake pine shavings on top of it. Clean that off 1-2 times a week. Bottom of coop I have several inches of pine flakes and they don't really get dirty.
This is them a few minutes ago:
View attachment 1592260
View attachment 1592264
Thank you so much RoosterML! This is great information for me as I'm very new to this. Great advice! Best, Annalee

Do they have run? They love to be out more often than not.. at least mine do and healthy for them. As long as they have dry place to go if needed and desired the snow shouldn’t hurt them. Some are hesitant about it at first but now mine run right out in it

Back
Top Bottom