Winter Coop Suggestions

I live in Upstate NY and we get subzero temps. As long as it's not snowing, or the temps are in the low 20's my hens like to go out. That said, we have snow and low temps a lot. I have a tractor and have 5 hens ( asked for 4, 5 were sent ) so I am at the absolute min. sq. ft. and they did get nasty with eachother by the end of the winter. If I could afford to do it all over again, I'd trash the tractor idea and just build it a bit larger than they need for the many days they may spend inside. The tractor isn't any cheaper to build in my opion and there is less cutting of wood, etc. I also put in the insulation board and that helped out a lot. The key as I'm sure you've read already is keeping out the drafts.

Have fun with your new birdies.

Quote:
Welcome to BYC and yes...yes we are enablers
lol.png
There is no hope for you now...done...all over....you are addicted! Support groups will not help either.
lol.png

I am building a smaller style coop but I do not have the temps that you face so I cannot be of much help. Enjoy the forum, your girls and your upcoming construction.

We're building for winter too, and I've put together a page on insulation and on using Typar on outside walls. Hope this helps!

I hope you thaw soon, we're facing exactly the same problem as we try to dig to install sono tubes/concrete supports.

Click on my page below and on the attached page called LynneP's Run.

cool.png

I live in Bend, OR - up in the high desert - we get warm days and cold nights. I'm building a coop for 3 birds and am looking for heating ideas. What's an aluminized-bubble wrap hover? I'm using a Chick-n-yard http://www.mypetchicken.com/Chicken-Coops-Chick-N-Barn-With-Run-P316.aspx
so
I'm not sure how to retroactively insulate this? I wasn't planning on doing anything, but I wonder if I could/should do something? I don't have access to electricity where I'll be putting the coop - do you know of any battery operated light/heat system?

Thanks!
Sara

Quote:
How cold do your nights get? Because you will have to totally block off that upper ventilation (or it will pour freezing air on your chickens' heads, since it is virtually over the roosts) and may have insufficient-ventilation issues as a result. You might be able to adapt the structure somewhat so that you have decent ventilation that isn't right 'at' the roosts...?

By aluminized-bubblewrap hover, I mean where you hang a sort of 'canopy (like a shallow, open-bottomed box) over top of the roost, just high enough to clear the chickens' heads, to help hold in their body heat.

I do not think you're going to find any battery-op HEAT, the draw is just way too great.

There are certainly battery-op LIGHT systems (heck, you could make your own) although the timers I am familiar with are designed for a/c and you'd have to figure out how to adapt for battery use. (I expect it could be done). There is also solar-powered lighting, again dunno about the timer issue but you could certainly look into it.

Pat

Hello to all the minnesotians!! I am actually from South Range which is outside Superior (near duluth)

I am attempting on converting a little gardening shed into a chicken coop. I was wondering about insulating and low and behold there is a post on it
lol.png

my plans are..
right now there is just bare walls. I am going to staple in the inside some heavy plastic, followed by insulation (pink paper backed kind from house remodel a few years ago)

then the plywood walls.

I am wondering about vents... either in the roof or in the side? The door has some wood splits that might provide enough circulation.

thanks
smile.png

Amanda

Thanks! I love it so much better than the shed they were in.
smile.png

The plastic was a freebie from my dad's work. You can find it at places like Lowes or Menards but it's expensive. :|

The coop is framed and built just like a house, it has an attic and roof vents. The old coop had a cupola but I had to block it off in the winter because it just sucked all the heat out.

BTW I love the North Shore it's so gorgeous!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom