1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter drop in egg production - Who says?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mlorne, Jan 11, 2011.

1. mlorne

mlorne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    Our 7 layers continue to amaze me.

5 Red-sex link (52 weeks old)
    2 Frey's Dual Purpose (30 weeks old)

Eggs collected:

January 6th : 23 (hadn't been down in a few days)
    January 8th: 10
    January 9th: 5
    January 10th: 6

So, they are averaging about 5-6/day for 7 hens.

Is this typical for January?

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sounds like you are doing fine.

Laying decreases in the winter for two reasons, basically. It's cold and the hen uses the calories for heat and her instincts say "this isn't the weather I want to re-produce in". Good to remember that chicken lay for their own instinct to re-produce, not for us. We just benefit.

Second, the low light, short days of winter signal them to slow down, conserve energy and wait, wait til spring.

Of course, a caged hen, in an egg factory, with lights left on 24/7 notices none of this.

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    some breeds are good winter layers you ave them lol Some breeds will slow or completely stop in winter.

4. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    my banty stopped laying this winter =- but my red sexlinks are laying like crazy... got 2 older australorps that lay every once in awhile - due to their age I dont expect much - just enjoy em when i get em

5. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    My sex links and leg horns are laying like crazy. I've been averaging a dozen a day. I even have a couple of ducks still laying even though I was specifically told ducks do not lay in winter.

6. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Our egg production hasn't slowed much, if at all. I did add a light in the coop though. Also, I have pullets just getting to the right age to start laying. I think I have 7 total that are old enough, and we get anywhere from 3 to 5 eggs per day. I have 4 Delawares that should be starting any time.

I actually gave away a dozen eggs yesterday because I was falling behind in eating them since I started watching my calories and cholesterol.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  7. jockey1975

jockey1975 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Wilson, NC
    I have 3 Domineckers(sp?) 5 white leghorns and 4 hybrids that are from an EE Roo and one of the Domineckers and I am averaging 9-10 eggs a day.

8. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    We have 3 RIRs, 3 BOs, 3 BRs, and 2 EEs, hatched in late July. We were told not only that winter was a slow laying time, but that pullets coming of age in the winter would likely delay satrting to lay. Maybe the EEs and the BOs read that book, but the other 6 did not. They've been laying for just barely a month at a 2-4 egg per day pace. Today we broke our record and got 5! Wheee!

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    wOW!! sounds like you are doing Very good!

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Well it's not surprising since you have "production" birds. I've never heard of the "Frey's Dual Purpose" is that a new breed? Have you got pictures?

One thing about production birds is that they lay very well for a shorter period of time. Where as Heritage purebreds lay over a longer period of time and things equal out. And of course you won't be able to eat your production birds when they pass their short laying season. Usually two years.

My Delawares laid two the other day so large I had to tape the carton closed and they are going on three. Lets see you "hybrids" do that after two years. [​IMG]

Enjoy the winter

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by