Winter duck feeding

I fill a quart sized mason jar with water and 1 cup of frozen peas. Microwave it for 3 minutes then add it to about a pint of of scratch. Let it sit 2-3 minutes to absorb moisture & cool a bit.

It makes them a nice nutritious "oatmeal" to warm them up on the cold winter mornings.

Winter is a booger! It has gotten so cold this year. In the summer I feed my ducks pelleted feed in the evening so they are not starving, but are more motivated to forage for bugs during the day. It works and they keep fed and trim for good egg laying.

I ended up with some 18% scratch in the fall, they just make a mess with and fill up their water buckets with it so I was not feeding it to them. It comes in very handy now!

I do give them occasional treats of meal-worms, kitty kibble, various lettuce and squashes and still feed them their pellets in the evening.

That said, they are getting very fat and fat ducks don't lay well. It's okay with me though, they need to conserve their energy.

The girls layed yesterday for the first time this winter after a steady diet of leftover greens!
Thanks again for all of the input!

Back
Top Bottom