Winter egg laying

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
So I live in northern nh and just had my first pullet start laying on October 6th 2021 and has payed an egg a day since yesterday when she suddenly stopped. We are getting about 10 hours of day light right now, does that have anything to do with it? If so, what kind of lightbulb should I use to light a 4x8 coop that is 3ft high?

So I live in northern nh and just had my first pullet start laying on October 6th 2021 and has payed an egg a day since yesterday when she suddenly stopped. We are getting about 10 hours of day light right now, does that have anything to do with it? If so, what kind of lightbulb should I use to light a 4x8 coop that is 3ft high?
Shorter days, most likely.

I don't recommend Light Bulbs. If my ladies want a break for the winter I allow that. Some ladies will continue laying through the winter, which keeps us from buying store eggs which is nice.

She's also a new layer. Sometimes they'll lay once, stop laying for 3 weeks, then start up again. Sometimes they'll lay for several weeks, before stopping for awhile. It's all normal.

Shorter days, most likely.

I don't recommend Light Bulbs. If my ladies want a break for the winter I allow that. Some ladies will continue laying through the winter, which keeps us from buying store eggs which is nice.

She's also a new layer. Sometimes they'll lay once, stop laying for 3 weeks, then start up again. Sometimes they'll lay for several weeks, before stopping for awhile. It's all normal.
Ok thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom