winter egg - ok to eat?

noril18

Hatching
Jan 20, 2016
Hello - I am such a newbie, so pardon my ignorance.
I am the caregiver for our preschool backyard chickens, and it's my first time taking care of chickens.
They are healthy and happy ladies :)
Here's my question, they haven't laid in weeks and weeks (which I understand is normal). We live in the San Francisco region of California, and it's been rainy and cold overnight, but they seem to be doing great.
Anyway, we got one egg today - it appears to be a normal egg. Is it ok to eat?
I wasn't sure if an egg after such a long period of not-laying is considered healthy to eat.

Thanks!
Liron

Hello - I am such a newbie, so pardon my ignorance.
I am the caregiver for our preschool backyard chickens, and it's my first time taking care of chickens.
They are healthy and happy ladies :)
Here's my question, they haven't laid in weeks and weeks (which I understand is normal). We live in the San Francisco region of California, and it's been rainy and cold overnight, but they seem to be doing great.
Anyway, we got one egg today - it appears to be a normal egg. Is it ok to eat?
I wasn't sure if an egg after such a long period of not-laying is considered healthy to eat.

Thanks!
Liron

Yes it is perfectly fine and safe to eat. Its just like a normal egg. The chickens just slow/stop their laying this time of year but start laying again!

fantastic news! thanks :)
I feel so lucky that I was at school to see their first egg after such a long dormant period!

Welcome to BYC, it is fine to eat any egg that a chicken lays, unless it is rotten or they have had a medicine or something used on them which would require a withdrawal period.

Back
Top Bottom