1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter grass

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BigPeep, Sep 22, 2009.

1. BigPeep

BigPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    I was thinking of raising grass in plant trays in my basement or greenhouse over the winter and feeding the clippings to the chickens so their egg yolks would retain the more orange color.

Is it OK to try something like lemon grass?

2. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I don't know about lemon grass, but I've heard wheat grass is very nutritious. I started some hard red winter wheat a month ago, and I've been clipping it for the chickens on the days when then can't free range. I really do think it's making the yolks more orange.
    I think this would be especially valuable to them in the dead of winter. Clover and rye would be good choices too.
    Enjoy your chickens....[​IMG]

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:My daughter, Kate Mitchell, uses a special machine that turns wheat grass into a flavorful, nutritious drink for humans. She raises and buys wheat grass by the flat. Think I might try raising some for my chickens this winter; might even buy a machine. She's heading up the Living Foods Institue in Atlanta now, and Anne's going down for a training session in December; maybe she'll buy one of those machines that Kate has.

EDIT: Nah, I'll play dumb and let ANNE raise the grass.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by