Winter heating

Kormosranch

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 16, 2016
I am looking for some energy efficient recommendations for heating a 120 sq ft coop. I live in central Alberta where temperatures a get as low as - 30. What are some of you using?

I am in Michigan, but in the Thumb and we don't get temps that low. I don't have to tell that the wind chill would be a problem. We had the door below the level of the roosts. Under the roosts we had a bale of straw, picky side up. The droppings fall onto the straw and go downward (which is why you want the end side up, not the smooth side). The hot manure adds heat to the coop, especially being given a compostable material (dry straw) to be in. Our coop was just big enough for everyone to roost. It was not meant for all day as they were free ranged. The smaller the coop, the easier it will hold heat.

I would have their ventilation over head, as opposed to windows at their body level. Also, hardware cloth covered small "holes" near the ground or floor level to ensure movement of air. Just keeping them out of the wind makes quite a difference.

You can add light bulbs to the coop. Use a cage around the bulbs. People add light to keep the hens laying in the winter, but light bulbs also give off heat. It might be enough for your chickens.

I agree with what others said. Although my coop can be insualted in the winter.
Keep them dry and out of the winds. Last year when it got to negative 40 mine survived with only thr single comb breeds having a little frostbite.

I am looking for some energy efficient recommendations for heating a 120 sq ft coop. I live in central Alberta where temperatures a get as low as - 30. What are some of you using?
If you use any kind of electric heat, I suggest you not try to get the coop very warm. Just take the edge off the worst of the cold.

The reason: if the electric power goes out, the chickens will have no heat. Chickens who are used to a nice warm coop will have big problems if they lose their heat. Chickens who are used to an almost-unheated coop will probably do fine.

You might consider a heated waterer, or a heat lamp over the water, to keep it from freezing. Having plenty of water can make a big difference in how well the chickens do through the winter. Thirsty chickens will not eat dry food, so then they are hungry as well as thirsty and do not have the energy they need to keep themselves warm.

Anything that warms the water will also add a bit of heat to the coop, so you could check the temperature inside the coop before deciding if any other heat is needed.

I assume that -30 is in Celsius? (Not that it makes very much difference, since -40 is the same in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.)

Back
Top Bottom