Winter is almost here, should I be concerned about my flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by akd23237, Dec 13, 2008.

1. akd23237

akd23237 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    I live in Miami, Florida. It'll be the first winter that I have chickens. They are 3 free-range chickens, and thus far they've been sleeping up in a tree. Do you think they'll be OK in the Miami winter? Should I be giving them something special to eat?
    One is a gamebird bantam rooster, the hen appears to be a leghorn, and the other one appears to be leghorn mixed with something else..........

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I think you should be more concerned about your birds being taken by predators, to be quite honest.

What are the average temperatures during a Miami winter? How much rain do you get? If you have a rainy week, your chickens are likely to get sick due to overexposure to rain and cooler air.

3. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Your birds will be fine. Here in Maine, I didn't even close up the door this fall until the temps started going down below freezing every day. Where the thermometer hardly ever reaches 40 degrees, your birds' biggest winter problem may be fewer days they can work on their tans.

How did they do in the heat this year?

Wayne

4. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I think you should be more concerned about your birds being taken by predators, to be quite honest.

Ya, what the Chicken Lady said....

5. akd23237

akd23237 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Well actually, these chickens are quite safe from predators.
    Anyhow, being free range they have the option of choosing different locations in which they can avoid rain and wind. However, even though they love going up their tree at night despite any rain or cold winds which may come, I'm wondering if I should choose a place for them anyways and lock them in for the night???? What do you think? I'm really only concerned about rain and cold, if you guys think I should be concerned with that at all.... I've seen when they're up in their tree sleeping and it rains, they NEVER come down to a place that is dry. They basically just remain where they are. In Miami it'll get to a (barely) freezing temperature once in a blue moon.
    Overall I think they did fine in the summer...spending the hotter hours of the days in the shade, and drinking lots of water..........

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with the others. I know for a fact that Miami does have their fair share of predators. Possums and racoons come to mind.
    I would decide on a place to keep them at night and lock them in it for at least a week until they learn that's where to roost at night.
    As far as your weather is concerned, you don't have a thing to worry about. I don't even close the shutters on my coop unless the overnight temps are going to be below 40 degrees.
    I can speak with some knowledge of Miami's weather. I grew up on 90th Avenue, just off Bird Rd. [​IMG]

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] I'm from Florida and dh is a Miami boy. I think it's safe to say that your birds will get along just fine, weather wise. Even if you were to get the odd frost, it doesn't stay cold very long at all so they'll be fine.

I do agree with the others in that they would be safer at night if they were locked up, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by