Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Alright, It hit in the 50's the other day so I get just about all the stuff I needed done except for the plug out to coop.
Cleared off the deck and shed and everything is in the basement. Will bring up electric snow blower when we get close to snowing.
Here you can see I got a (free) plastic dog house that covers the pop door. This will be a wind break and also cover snow build up at the door.
Put some leaves IN the coop for scratching entertainment, partially covers Koi Pond, Stock tank upside down for hiding. The kids playhouse is off to the Left out of the pic.
Also, Salt water in jug that sits in the indoor water bowl is keeping ice out for now. But keep in mind that temps fall at night to 30's and been back up to 40's-50's in the day.

Oh and look, HENS !! Got ya in the pick ladies !
20171123_093528[1].jpg

Actually I did this today
20171123_131014[1].jpg

I had those free fiberglass roofing sheets and blue tarp. Course I put the tarp up first and then saw the panels :rolleyes:. That will keep a bunch off the falls down, but what slides off the roof is another story.
Between house and coop was a small gap ( 1/4 inch), so I shoved big trash bag into space, then a brick on top, then that panel and will need to put a rock on top.
Wood board against house it is to make sure it doesn't go out of line with what I just did.

Oh the fun of Improvising with left over crap :wee

I also got around to raking, hens got Mealworms and left over Salad out in the front yard
Now to make turkey breast

Because Winter is Coming.

I probably need to go out and get a new trap for my hoop tractor coop before I put it into its winter position. The current one is getting kinda faded and worn out and its usually easier to replace it when I'm not in a rush to do it verses having to scramble to do it.

Back
Top Bottom