Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
I have 2 buffs and 2 other not sure im new sorry. But I read that buffs prefer temps between 42 and 46 degrees is this acurate. They are about 4 months old and im worried about winter I live in colorado and it gets to be a little fridged and suggestions...

I'm not ready for fall much less winter! We only got the coop built a month ago...then DH had surgery, and I'm busy with my full daycare... The only thing we didn't finish was the coverings over the vents and, (shame face) shingles on the roof... So there are a couple small leaks inside the coop. I have GOTTA get that fixed soon!

I have 2 buffs and 2 other not sure im new sorry. But I read that buffs prefer temps between 42 and 46 degrees is this acurate. They are about 4 months old and im worried about winter I live in colorado and it gets to be a little fridged and suggestions...

I have 3 Buffs, I don't know what temp they really prefer(I prefer mid to upper 70s myself). I've never seen them shy away from going out in the winter. They (Mine anyway) don't like walking in snow. But they are built to more than handle whatever winter throws at them.

This is my first winter, and I'm in Minnesota so -30F is likely here and Buff Orpingtons were recommended as a cold hearty bird so I have one. I was told that the biggest concern is large combs and wattles as they are more likely to get frostbit.

I'm also curious on how best to insulate my very little henhouse. I live in southern ontario, and have 3 red sex links. I am planning on covering their run with plastic and using some bales of straw for wind breaks as well as to scatter around in the run. The henhouse is small: 8x3 and only 3.5' tall. There is r13 (I think!) foam core insulation throughout and good ventilation. We've also switched the roost over to a 2x4. Obviously we can't do deep litter method and I'm concerned that adding any sort of heat might be dangerous because the ceiling is pretty low. Should I add extra straw inside the henhouse (I currently use pine shavings)? I read somewhere that straw can house lice and other yucky things and am concerned about that too. I've gotten a lot of helpful info from this thread but my coop is so small I'm not sure what applies to my situation. Anyone out there have advie for my tiny chicken house?

For the water, I found an electric heated water stand at the farmers co-op that is perfect. For one, it elevates the water so straw doesn't get kicked into the waterer trough, and two, the heated stand simply plugs in and generates heat through its metal base. The waterer sits on the base and we've not had frozen water since. GREAT INVENTION, as before, I was getting up every am and boiling water to cart out to the coops and pour over the waterer to melt the frozen block. That's too much work for anybody!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom