Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
One chicken owner earlier in this thread posted a picture last fall of his preps- he used a support structure with roofing and some side cover to keep the snowdrift out of the run- I was EXTREMELY impressed/inspired by those pictures and that is how I try to prepare my area for winter.

These are his pictures (not mine) but it's exactly what I always wanted to do for my preps:

It has some kind of sturdy roof which the snow can fall off of and clear plastic secured to the sides of the run as well.

Just be cautious about the weight of the snow, an underlying structure and supportive roofing is probably the best way to go if you plan to cover the run. Not everyone covers their runs, though. I do, because of my climate. I still brush mine off a few times during every snowstorm.
I get lots and lots of snow- Each storm can dump two feet on us in the span of several hours. I'm in the mountains of Maine, plus we get very damp and very cold weather- so of course not everyone on this thread will need to make too many changes- you will find lots of people have different ways to do their chicken stuff, there's really no right or wrong.

Hi LadyCluck: How ya doing? This is Bogtown Chick's Run. LOL. SHE built it for her Northern MN Winters. Works like a charm when I put Plastic up with Nail and Lath on the prevailing wind sides -- North and West. I leave partial openings on the East and South and there is a narrow section above that is open all around. More Ventilation in the Run if you Will. I put in lots of cozy hay to keep feet off frozen mud. Provide roosting in the run to warm toes.

Dusting Bins. String with eye hooks to hang a cabbage for boredom busting...because my birds will not wonder around in 4 feet of snow or 2 inches of snow on my packed down path. Winter was a solid 6 months in that run.
I've got 2x4 frame work holding metal roofing for the snow load.

Lessons I've learned about chickens in the winter: I will only get small combed variety birds for Roosters. -20 to -30 sustained temps,no matter the ventilation, will dub a rooster of his single comb and large wattles that drag in waterers and warm oatmeal. Cooked squash....whatever. Those boys are going to get hit hard.

Hens tuck their heads under their wings when it is cold. Roosters do not. Bag Balm helps. Vaseline is worthless. Use 2 x 4's for roosts so they can cover all their feet with those dynamic feathers.
When you think of it on a cold day....tuck your fingers under their fluff when they are roosting and feel those feet. You'll be amazed at how cozy they are.

Lower the Roosts. Standard birds' weight jumping from a roost higher than 2 feet will break their toes, at one point or another. Broken toes-> bad circulation -> frozen toe -> no toe.
big_smile.png
Ask me how I know. Those are lessons from our first winter.

If you feel you need to add heat, do it. Watch your birds, they will tell you what they need and don't need. I try to keep the poop frozen and then cleaned out. My coop is never above 32 unless mother nature decides it that way for that winter day. My flat panel heater at 150 watts is a dream. It gets turned on if it is 0 or less. If you have spent a fair amount of money on feed and coop and chicks, do not let it go up in flames over a $7 lamp. $30 for a flat panel heater is worth the peace of mind that your coop will still be standing the next morning. And only turn it on if you absolutely need to.

You should follow advice from folks from your region. Dry Cold is different than Humid Cold. Minnesota vs. Maine. Inland vs. Coastal states. Great lake states can have humidity issues as well. If you live in Idaho...you probably shouldn't take somebody from Virginia's winter advice.
We're jumping into winter #3, I guess, tomorrow! Yep. first flakes flying tomorrow friends. We were sun-tanning two days ago! LOL
th.gif

Oh Blooie! I read your post about snow too. Hopefully it won't stick for us. The ground is too warm...right?!
big_smile.png

Um, sure...you betcha! Actually parts of Wyoming are under a winter storm watch. Sheridan, right across the mountains, is supposed to get it too. And the Big Horns are expecting heavy, wet snow. Great...so much for my friends driving over the mountain to our side on Thursday. Ah well, if it's coming it's coming and we sure can't stop it, can we?

Here in Prince George (middle of BC Canada) we had our first frost last night, and since it's my first winter with chooks I'm wondering about insulation heating etc.
I've got a 6x10 metal single sheet coop, and I'm planning to stack hay bales around up to about 5' high so the ventilation still works!
Not sure about the roof, it should be sturdy enough for snow to stay on and insulate it but it is metal so do I insulate before the snow comes? Not planning on additional light, so if they moult, stop laying then so be it. Anyone else local? We got down to -34 last winter, and it stays under ten below for months over winter.
I have three orpingtons and three marans, all ladies (I think, orpies are too young to call yet!)

Oh I think I just misinterpreted your post. I thought you were talking about the seasons in general. Now i see it was in reference to my pics! Ha. Sorry... And thanks so much Alaskan. Here it is in my favorite season although the birds don't use it all during this time.

Back
Top Bottom