Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
I would get another piece of roofing, and put that an temporarily, so that the run stays snow free. The way the coop is set up, the snow is going to dump onto the run. (At least i think thatis what it looks like) i wouldn't worry abut closing p the pop door at night, unless it is really super cold (negative) or if with the pop door open there is a breeze over the perch.

I agree about covering the top of that Run to keep the snow out of there. If you could add space I would do that too....how many hens is this for? Also. However, I'm a big believer in keeping any pop doors closed at night for predator protection. If there's a will and a way, they'll find it. And chicken wire (which it appears you have on there) A raccoon can force his way through or pull chickens through piece by piece if he has too. Sorry. Weasels of all sizes will find their way through that wire as well.

THis is for my pheasant aviary's but could apply to some chickens coops/runs. Last fall we added a deer net to the top of the 2in net to keep sparrows out. But this also caused the snow to build up more. The supports made a grid 8'x8' and is made of 2x2's. we doubled every one so it is more or less 2x4's supporting the net. We put in heated water dishes. I put in 2x2's standing up in the middle of each 'segment' of 8x8 roof to help it support more snow. When it snows I go out shovel some paths and knock the snow off the net.

They sell what they call blue coat at TSC , a spray for the lost of feathers on their backs. Keeps the pecking birds and the feathers will grow back.

I have actually tried BlueKote and it hasn't worked. I now have purple and white chickens and it made them pretty chickens but by the next day, their backs were bare again. It rubbed off too easy. I thought it would work since I've read a lot of raves about it - keep the others from pecking since it's suppose to taste bad, etc., but, unfortunately, no luck w/ this product. I'll try to get a picture of some of their backs so you all will know what this feather loss looks like. I just can't figure why they aren't growing back. Don't notice excessive pecking, etc. The skin on their backs is tough as cow hide - at least it looks that way.

I don't see any mites or lice and they were all recently wormed. Treated for mice/lice, too, even tho' I didn't see any. They do scratch a lot; don't know if they are preening or scratching an itch . . .
anyway to tell?

Might have to make some chicken saddles or aprons to keep these gals warmer this winter. Anyone think that would help much?

Last edited:
I have actually tried BlueKote and it hasn't worked. I now have purple and white chickens and it made them pretty chickens but by the next day, their backs were bare again. It rubbed off too easy. I thought it would work since I've read a lot of raves about it - keep the others from pecking since it's suppose to taste bad, etc., but, unfortunately, no luck w/ this product. I'll try to get a picture of some of their backs so you all will know what this feather loss looks like. I just can't figure why they aren't growing back. Don't notice excessive pecking, etc. The skin on their backs is tough as cow hide - at least it looks that way.  

I don't see any mites or lice and they were all recently wormed. Treated for mice/lice, too, even tho' I didn't see any.  They do scratch a lot; don't know if they are preening or scratching an itch . . .
anyway to tell? 

Might have to make some chicken saddles or aprons to keep these gals warmer this winter. Anyone think that would help much?
My girl was received severely hen pecked and sunburned. She wore a lightweight apron most of the summer. If she doesn't show huge feather growth soon, I might make her a polar fleece one for winter. They are super easy to make and you don't actually have to sew the fleece ones since they stretch and won't unravel. I know there is a thread on here for the no-sew pattern.

Bogtown and Alaskan,
Thank you for your responses!
I will put a roof on the run, and maybe some plastic to keep the run snow-free. The coop is for three chickens, and right now they have a moveable fence that they spend most days in- I just connect it to the door of the run and they go in and out freely. (They had been more free-ranging, but the neighbors said they didn't like that the chickens might be able to get into their horse pasture and poop on the horse's grass, and asked me to contain them. )

What do you all think about sand on the floor of a coop raised about 2' off the ground..... in Michigan?

Sand, good or bad in the winter?

What do you all think about sand on the floor of a coop raised about 2' off the ground..... in Michigan?

Sand, good or bad in the winter?
My coop is 2' off the ground and I currently have sand in it. I live in Maine where it is super cold and snowy. I am thinking of pulling the sand soon and switching to pine for the winter. I'll keep the sand in the run, but I might lay out some straw and leaf litter over it.

Back
Top Bottom