Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
I can close the heat off at what age should I do this and for how long

by four weeks of age they can be in the 50s as long as they have a heat lamp to warm up under.

Just watch them and see how they do. With no wind, it is easier to handle the cold.

I am pretty sure that by two months, mine can handle 40s without a heat lamp.

I need to write this stuff down.
roll.png

I just keep an eye on them, see how they are doing, and adjust things as needed. My summers are usually in the 50s as a HIGH.

I can close the heat off at what age should I do this and for how long
Here's some notes I've taken, and techniques I've used, about heat for chicks:

They need to be pretty warm(~85F on the brooder floor right under the lamp) for the first day or two, especially if they have been shipped, until they get to eating, drinking and moving around well. But after that it's best to keep them as cool as possible for optimal feather growth and quicker integration to outside temps. A lot of chick illnesses are attributed to too warm of a brooder.

The best indicator of heat levels is to watch their behavior:
If they are huddled/piled up right under the lamp and cheeping very loudly, they are too cold.
If they are spread out on the absolute edges of the brooder as far from the lamp as possible, panting and/or cheeping very loudly, they are too hot.
If they sleep around the edge of the lamp calmly just next to each other and spend time running all around the brooder they are juuuust right!

The lamp is best at one end of the brooder with food/water at the other cooler end of the brooder, so they can get away from the heat or be under it as needed. Wattage of 'heat' bulb depends on size of brooder and ambient temperature of room brooder is in. Regular incandescent bulbs can be used, you might not need a 'heat bulb'. You can get red colored incandescent bulbs at a reptile supply source. A dimmer extension cord is an excellent way to adjust the output of the bulb to change the heat without changing the height of the lamp.

I usually only use this website to read and not to post and therefore I have never made an account before today. I had to share my joy of insulating my coop windows with bubble wrap. So cheap and practical. I feel thats where most of the heat loss was going. I do not and will not heat my coop but it is insulated and ventilated. I live in alberta and temperatures are already close to freezing here. Anyways. Had to share my discovery of bubble wrap as insulation. It still lets the sunlight in but doesn't let the heat out.

I usually only use this website to read and not to post and therefore I have never made an account before today. I had to share my joy of insulating my coop windows with bubble wrap. So cheap and practical. I feel thats where most of the heat loss was going. I do not and will not heat my coop but it is insulated and ventilated. I live in alberta and temperatures are already close to freezing here. Anyways. Had to share my discovery of bubble wrap as insulation. It still lets the sunlight in but doesn't let the heat out.

Nice job, and thanks for sharing... Welcome to BYC from your neighbour here in BC.

thanks everyone for the wealth of information,i believe I know have a clear pic of what I can do,and I like the bubble wrap neat idea,and Alaskan...wow 50 for summer high...you guys stay cold all year long...

Its so easy to do :) just spray water on the window and then apply the sheet or bubble wrap bubble side facing the glass. Its cheap and fast. I felt it heat up in there just while i was applying it. Glad you liked the idea!! It comes off easily in spring with no mess. Andyou can reuse it. So many perks.

Is there anything negative about using leaves in the bottom of the coops instead of shavings or straw? I believe it was someone on this thread who said they used leaves. I even put leaves in the cages. We will see. Hopefully they will work out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom