Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

When it comes to raising and taking care of your chickens is a personal preference,with that being said.I prefer to heat mine with 2-250watt infra heat lamps,and here is why I do it.Just because they may be able to survive without heat,does that make it better for them I personally don't (you may and that's fine).I have a 10' x 12' x 12' coop and a 8' x 20' cover run and I have it insulated and OSB on inside wall as outer walls.It has has 8' walls and 12' at peak,the ceiling is open and has plenty of ventilation.I try and keep it between 34 and 50 degrees.I also use a heated waterer because it is always colder on the floor.I find the advantages of this is no frozen water,no frozen eggs,no frostbite,and the manure is easier to clean up,and of course happy and healthy chickens.Make sure no frost forms on the inside of coop if it does you should add more ventilation not more heat.I also use a thermostat to keep it 50 degrees.I offer 1-nest box per 2-3 chickens.I use 2" x 2 " boards for roost with flat side up,I find that easier for them to clamp their feet around when on the roost which is natural for them.Please don't anyone that I think this is the right way

Thank you MeepBeep, we do like your suggestions.
smile.png
My husband doesn't want to cut any holes in the roofing, but he is all for the other vent additions.

I think MeepBeep's suggestion as to where to put the vents is very nice!

Because YES, you just can't have the vents... That blow air directly on the perches open. Arg!

As to your rooster , roosters temd to be heavier and clumsier than the hens, and so sometimes simply are not able to maneuver as well as the hens. Wit the small coop that you have, he might not be able to hop up on the perches, or simply not feel as secure on the, since he is heavier. (Now lets see you tell me that your hens are giant Australorps and your rooster is a bantam
lau.gif
)

Achem... Anyway. Also, I have never used rounded perches... I have no idea if that is a factor as to how easy it is for your rooster to get up there. I use the flat wide side of a 2x4.

Yep, we will be putting in more ventilation, up higher. Wondering if the "Amish designer" has ever owned a chicken
roll.png
By the way,I didn't think my coop was that small-is it? I've seen lots way smaller! We have lavender orps . Never thought about the roundness of the perch...hmmm

As to coop size, :D that is another highly debated topic. ;)

Though really... The suze of the coop I guess means nothing... Because maybe you have a tiny coop with one chicken, or a giant coop withh 100 crammed in... It is really a matter of number of square feet per bird. And that is a highly debated topic,especially where it gets very cold -30 etc.

Some say you need a small number of square feet per bird, or the birds will freeze.. Like 2 square feet per bird.

Others say that 2 is much too small, too many cannibal issues will crop up.. You need 4 square feet, but not more than that, again because the birds will get too cold.

I vote for a MINIMUM of 8 square feet per bird, of covered wind free and snow free space.

As to coop size,
big_smile.png
that is another highly debated topic.
wink.png

Though really... The suze of the coop I guess means nothing... Because maybe you have a tiny coop with one chicken, or a giant coop withh 100 crammed in... It is really a matter of number of square feet per bird. And that is a highly debated topic,especially where it gets very cold -30 etc.

Some say you need a small number of square feet per bird, or the birds will freeze.. Like 2 square feet per bird.

Others say that 2 is much too small, too many cannibal issues will crop up.. You need 4 square feet, but not more than that, again because the birds will get too cold.

I vote for a MINIMUM of 8 square feet per bird, of covered wind free and snow free space.
(Pictures to follow, I'd love to hear what you folks think)
We've just moved our birds into the new coop, the back room of what used to be a one-room schoolhouse. (It was on my property when we bought it, always wanted to patch it up and make it a coop).
Only problem is, I was just looking at it and thinking it might be a little too big for twenty birds. This is the area they will be roosting in at night. They'll still be using the same covered run as they did when they were in the old coop.
Maybe I just need to tell my husband we have to order more birds...

(Pictures to follow, I'd love to hear what you folks think)
We've just moved our birds into the new coop, the back room of what used to be a one-room schoolhouse. (It was on my property when we bought it, always wanted to patch it up and make it a coop).
Only problem is, I was just looking at it and thinking it might be a little too big for twenty birds. This is the area they will be roosting in at night. They'll still be using the same covered run as they did when they were in the old coop.
Maybe I just need to tell my husband we have to order more birds...

There's no such thing as too big, as chicken coops go. But a coop can definitely be too small.

I didn't read through the whole thread, but here's something I've learned for winter:
Have an extra waterer for every coop. They WILL freeze. And if you have an extra, you can fill it up, take it out, and switch it with the frozen one. Put the frozen one somewhere in the house to thaw for tomorrow :-D

I went out and measured my coop. 42 in by 46 in = 13.4166667 sq ft of main floor, plus four 10 in x 12 in nest boxes =3.3 more sq ft, so that is 16.75÷5 lav orps which = 3.35 square feet per bird. I think that means I am maxed out on birds...sigh...
hmm.png

I went out and measured my coop. 42 in by 46 in = 13.4166667 sq ft of main floor, plus four 10 in x 12 in nest boxes =3.3 more sq ft, so that is 16.75÷5 lav orps which = 3.35 square feet per bird. I think that means I am maxed out on birds...sigh...
hmm.png
Nest boxes don't count as floor space.

Back
Top Bottom