winter is coming (light bulb questions)

harleyguy927

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 15, 2012
burley, idaho
I am wanting to keep my hens laying during the winter months. I know they need around 16 hours of daylight. I have the lights, timers and everything. What I am wondering is do they need a special light that puts out uv light rays or will my regular 200 watt bulb be ok. I also have a 200watt inferred bulb. I think it might put off more heat than a standard 200 watt clear bulb??? They will need the heat but does that red light count as part of the 16 hours of daylight? The days are getting shorter and I need to get this figured out. Thanks.

Be very careful if you use infra-red bulbs. They are downright dangerous and have caused fires. We used a light (regular 100 watt) for a few days when it was bitterly cold but we used it as a heat source not for a light source and our hens laid all winter long. Actually they laid more in the winter than they have in the high heat that we have been having.

Be very careful if you use infra-red bulbs. They are downright dangerous and have caused fires. We used a light (regular 100 watt) for a few days when it was bitterly cold but we used it as a heat source not for a light source and our hens laid all winter long. Actually they laid more in the winter than they have in the high heat that we have been having.

I am not worried about the red bulb. I raised my chicks in the coop very early in the spring and used the bulb all night every night.

So you where not trying to keep your hens at 16 hours of light? Hmm... Here it is already getting into the 40-50's at night and they are only getting about 14 hours of light and the egg production is suffering.

They only need 12 hours of light and you can get by with a 40-60 watt bulb on a timer. It should come on about 6AM and go off about 6 PM in the dead of winter. I like for them to have light on in the coop so they will come in at dusk. You can adjust the timer just to provide that 12 hours until the days get really short. Many people choose to give their hens a break from laying constantly in the winter to prolong their laying later in life since they have only so many eggs in a lifetime. You can get them all as quick as possible or you can let them live a more normal existence laying when they would naturally throughout their lives. It's your choice.

You only need a little light. It is often posted just enough light to read a newspaper. I use a 13 watt CFL.
Often in their first year pullets/hens will lay well without the extra light, of course there are variables.

Imp- and yes my chickens like to read the newspaper.

funny_chicken_reading_book_cartoon_hen_sticker-p217061956019279686836x_325.jpg

No. We were only using the light as a heat source and then only during the coldest nights. We had a mild winter this past year so probably only used the light 9 to 10 days. Maybe I just have wierd hens. Four are Red Stars and two are Leghorns. We also have two BO's and one BCM who are at POL this year so maybe they will react differently.

You only need a little light. It is often posted just enough light to read a newspaper. I use a 13 watt CFL.
Often in their first year pullets/hens will lay well without the extra light, of course there are variables.

Imp- and yes my chickens like to read the newspaper.

funny_chicken_reading_book_cartoon_hen_sticker-p217061956019279686836x_325.jpg
LOL!!!! Love your pic!

They only need 12 hours of light and you can get by with a 40-60 watt bulb on a timer.  It should come on about 6AM and go off about 6 PM in the dead of winter.  I like for them to have light on in the coop so they will come in at dusk.  You can adjust the timer just to provide that 12 hours until the days get really short.  Many people choose to give their hens a break from laying constantly in the winter to prolong their laying later in life since they have only so many eggs in a lifetime.  You can get them all as quick as possible or you can let them live a more normal existence laying when they would naturally throughout their lives.  It's your choice.

I would prefer to have the eggs year round and have a shorter life span. Otherwise I'm paying out for feed and care for nothing during the winter months. They are not pets, they are meet and egg providers.

Back
Top Bottom