winter is coming (light bulb questions)

We used a string of white LED Christmas lights in our layer pen. We did let them finish their molt before doing so. We hung them high in the coop and eggs came just fine.

You only need a little light. It is often posted just enough light to read a newspaper. I use a 13 watt CFL.
Often in their first year pullets/hens will lay well without the extra light, of course there are variables.

Imp- and yes my chickens like to read the newspaper. 

funny_chicken_reading_book_cartoon_hen_sticker-p217061956019279686836x_325.jpg

This is good info. But I am worried that a 60 watt bulb won't provide enough heat for them. It is nothing for it to stay well below freezing for a month at a time here, even during the day time. The coop is elevated with a wire mesh floor. I have put skirting around the bottom to help keep the draft out. It is a smaller coop. 3x7 and 4 1/2' tall at the tallest point. But it will only house 4 hens this winter.

We used a string of white LED Christmas lights in our layer pen.  We did let them finish their molt before doing so.  We hung them high in the coop and eggs came just fine.

That sounds like a chicken retreat...lol. I know it doesn't take much light but the light has to double as a heat supplier. The coop is to small for a heated supply so it needs to stay warm enough to keepthe water from freezing.

Heating in winter is a bit controversial.
I'm not as cold as you are, but I do have heat available if I want to use it. I use a small electric heater.

Imp

We did not use heat last year though we were fairly mild compared to previous years. We did use the cookie tin water heater https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/107951/cookie-tin-water-heater. We used the tall popcorn type tins and small 40 watt bulbs. Water stayed water with only a thin layer of ice on the coldest nights that the chickens could easily peck through. We figured using the taller tins would also allow them to huddle around them for warmth if need be.

Back
Top Bottom