Winter is coming. What to do?

Gferna19

Songster
Mar 26, 2018
Hi All,
This is our first winter with chickens and I have some questions in how to keep our coop warm enough. We didn't know better when we decided to have chickens. It all started when we decided to do a hatching program for my daughter but we fell in love of the babies and the rest is history. The only person who was able to help me build a coop also improvised. We have an 8 x 10 walk in coop with a full size door on one side and an automatic door on the opposite side that leads to the run. The coop that looks more like a shed has electricity connections for 2 light bulbs that are in the top, a switch and an outlet. We have had reptiles before so we knew that heating bulbs are available but after reading and doing some research, most people says to not use bulbs. Now, we are in the blank trying to see how to keep them warm enough. Any suggestion will help a lot. Thank you all in advance.

Where are you located? My birds are hardy down to -20's, and even more. I add no heat, nor feel it's necessary for most flocks. Providing proper housing, good roosts, and wind breaks, good ventilation and a good ration as well as unfrozen water will keep your birds happy. If they have access to sunshine, and maybe some scratch to get them moving they should be fine.

Closing up and heating a coop can cause more problems than it helps.

We live in Maryland. Frederick county. We don't have bad winters but sometimes we do go below 0 especially during the night time. As for the breeds, we don't know exactly. We have 1silky for sure, 1 legbar, 1 maran, a couple of orpington/ cochin mixed and a meat bird( the white ones). The other ones I'm not sure. We have 10

:frowHere in central illinois , winter seems to last forever!
I have two east windows, two south windows in a 20 x18 coop area. I leave one of each window open most all winter and give them the choice of going out or not to the run area, if it's super sunny I open all windows.
I put their water and food inside when the snows start. I use a small heater for the water. I also use the deep litter method which is great. Also, I make sure they get entertainment since the coops so large and I only have 6 hens I set up pans of mixed soils and sand for dust baths. Any type of hanging fruit or veggie helps too. The only light I leave on is on a 14 hour timer. But otherwise there's no need for heat.
Good luck! It'll be fine I'm sure!

We live in Maryland. Frederick county. We don't have bad winters but sometimes we do go below 0 especially during the night time. As for the breeds, we don't know exactly. We have 1silky for sure, 1 legbar, 1 maran, a couple of orpington/ cochin mixed and a meat bird( the white ones). The other ones I'm not sure. We have 10
You will be fine without extra heat. Chicken feathers and down are remarkably warm. Perhaps share some pictures of your set up so others can see what you have going on.

My chickens will continue to go outside daily if there's hay or straw on the snow. I've even kept silkies here in Wisconsin without any extra heat.

Hi, I composed a blog post earlier today on this topic. I will provide the link, you may find it of help to you. :)

https://thekuntryklucker.blog

IMG_3888.jpg

klucker snow.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom