Winter laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cha Cha Chicken, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Sooo..... my girls are due to start laying in feb/march, and I was wondering if they would actually start laying then or if they would wait until the warmer months...?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    good question, I have 3 EE pullets at 24 weeks today...I am seeing the reddening of combs, and I am wondering the same thing myself....I guess we just watch and wait! I have heard sometimes they wait till warmer months...but then sometimes they go ahead and start laying...sorry I am not much help, but nobody really knows the answer since every chicken is different

3. Janelschickenfarm

Janelschickenfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Are you keeping a light on them for at least 12 hours a day? That'll help.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've never found the temps to have much bearing, quite honestly. What DOES matter is the individual maturity of each individual. Also, as the days begin to lengthen during January and continues through February, the beginning pullets usually do quite well. Some folks like to supplement pre-dawn light for a few hours, especially if they live in the far north where winter days are horribly short. Last winter, our Golden Buffs came into lay in late January just fine, in sub-zero weather.

5. 01ChickenGranny

01ChickenGranny Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2011
    My girlfriend here in Washington state got a late start on purchase of her chicks and hers started laying a couple of weeks ago. If they are due to start, say 18-22 weeks, you can start feeding layer food and they should start laying. I was really surprised that hers started laying this late in the season, however, she is getting more and more eggs each day. Good luck:D

6. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    From what I understand first year layers are not really affected buy the amount of light and so far mine have proven that true. The have actually increased production over the last month. But that may be do to the fact that they started in Aug.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by