Winter leave before dawn question

jeria

Songster
May 5, 2017
Independence MO
In the winter it is still dark before I leave for work 6am. It will be light by 7am. I'm hoping to be able to leave the coop door open into the run before I leave. Would you do this? I hate to leave them inside all day if the weather is decent. I'm already way over the budget building my coop so this year an electric pop door isn't happening. I'm home before dark even if I work overtime.

Of course really cold and low wind chill days inside will be the option. I will have a run of 1/2 hardware cloth with skirting and as predator proof as I can make it. I will also have straw bales on the west and north sides as a wind break. By then I should know if I'm having an issue with the coons and other neighborhood critters.

Well is there anyone else to let them out? I don't think there is much you can do hear just let them out as late as you can, but there is still a chance night predators are lurking around, you'll just have to hope for the best. Sorry I couldn't help that much.

Well is there anyone else to let them out? I don't think there is much you can do hear just let them out as late as you can, but there is still a chance night predators are lurking around, you'll just have to hope for the best. Sorry I couldn't help that much.

No one else, just me and the rest of my critters. Most days there is the blush of dawn in the east but for about a month it is totally dark until almost 7.

I do this with mine--if your run is predator proof you should be ok. I make plenty of noise in the morning and the dogs are out with me too so I always hope that scares off anything lurking. My chickens stay in the coop even with the door open if it's dark out.

Thanks, makes me feel better. My 2 dogs are also out in the am usually for about an hour. I wake up slow so am up early with coffee and computer getting conscious. I would be checking in on the chicks about 15 min before I leave for work. My neighbors either work, there are a number of us who leave about the same time, one works nights so is already off to bed, or have health issues, one is 89 with mobility problems.

Mine get the door opened 2 to 3 hours before sun up in winter. They stay in and asleep til dawn.
It has been this way for years with no issues.
If your run is secure In would not worry.

I'm working on making it as secure as I can. New to building as well as chicks. Wish I could just work on my coop today but grandkids' ball game will interrupt my day as well as the air quality issues affecting asthma. On here as I'm trying to get breathing under control.

Definitely, but I need the coop and run finished in July to move the babies into. Was trying for a week off in July but not one until August unless someone else cancels days. So weekends is it and some days after work. A couple weeks and I'll try to get help from grandsons.

Back
Top Bottom