Winter Run in Michigan

LSpies

Hatching
Sep 6, 2020
This is our first year owning chickens. We have our ladies in a fenced in yard. We live in Northern Lower Michigan where it gets pretty cold. We did purchase cold hardy breads but we are now wondering if we should provide a larger covered area for winter? Currently the only covered area for them is their coop which is a couple feet off the ground. If it's not necessary would our ladies be happier? Are they going to get out into the yard in winter or will they stay in the coop most of the day? We were thinking maybe a small tunnel covered with clear plastic. Thanks!

This is our first year owning chickens. We have our ladies in a fenced in yard. We live in Northern Lower Michigan where it gets pretty cold. We did purchase cold hardy breads but we are now wondering if we should provide a larger covered area for winter? Currently the only covered area for them is their coop which is a couple feet off the ground. If it's not necessary would our ladies be happier? Are they going to get out into the yard in winter or will they stay in the coop most of the day? We were thinking maybe a small tunnel covered with clear plastic. Thanks!
They will do much better with a covered area to get out of the coop in. It needs to have ventilation too.

They will enjoy a larger covered area, but it's not necessary. It can be fancy or as simple as a sheet of greenhouse panelling, plywood, large old windows, or tin leaned against the coop and propped up a smidge on blocks. If you can get ahold of used greenhouse panelling that's my favorite (check with local plant nurserys), as the sun will heat it and the chickens will love to hang out by it.

My neighbor has a coop with a beautiful big 15x25' chainlink run panelled with greenhouse panels and free ranges chickens. The chickens spend maybe half the time out in the yard, a quarter in the run, and the rest in the coop. So they will enjoy a large covered area, but they will still spend lots of time choosing to be out and about.

Mine also enjoy a few 4x4s laid on the ground outside the coop with dark paint. The dark paint melts off the snow and then they can hang out outside on the boards and not get their feet wet. Though you may be surprised how much time they do spend out in the snow!

LSpies, I'm in the same boat. This is my first year with chickens too.

What I'm going to do is use heavy duty tarps for roofing on the run. The frame work of the run is a repurposed metal frame for a greenhouse, covered with chicken wire. It's low enough I can sweep off heavy snow accumulations. The sides have 1/2" hardware cloth. The east side will be about 3-4 feet from the garage wall. I'm going to use some clear shower curtains to block the wind on the west side, and go part way around the northwest corner to give the birds a good wind break. (The shower curtains are pre-grommeted, inexpensive, and I can get them at Meijers.) I'm more concerned about wind than snow. I can remove the snow.

I used to live in Eastport. Where are you located?

A solid roofed run would be great.
I have to shovel part of mine, but my coop is big enough(6-7sqft per bird) for those really nasty days.

full

a roof is helpful - snow freaks them out. But, minimizing the snow in any way possible is helpful. For some it is preventing snow from blowing in, in addition to a cover of some kind. If you cannot create a viable roof in the near future, then adding in some stuff that will provide cover will help - a picnic table, a pallet, a large OSB or Plywood scrap, etc.

However, If you do nothing else, cover the coop human door with some kind of "roof" - no need to have to chisel your way in on those awful days. Our first year we began the roof structure, but were only able to get about 6 ft out on the human door side - lets just say we were so thankful for having gotten just portion up bc access was much easier. The door was never frozen shut or overly swollen from moisture.

LSpies, I'm in the same boat. This is my first year with chickens too.

What I'm going to do is use heavy duty tarps for roofing on the run. The frame work of the run is a repurposed metal frame for a greenhouse, covered with chicken wire. It's low enough I can sweep off heavy snow accumulations. The sides have 1/2" hardware cloth. The east side will be about 3-4 feet from the garage wall. I'm going to use some clear shower curtains to block the wind on the west side, and go part way around the northwest corner to give the birds a good wind break. (The shower curtains are pre-grommeted, inexpensive, and I can get them at Meijers.) I'm more concerned about wind than snow. I can remove the snow.

I used to live in Eastport. Where are you located?

We don't have a covered run but we do have a fence around them. Making it so the snow can't blow in is a great idea! We are close to Mackinaw City. :)

Same boat and now the snow has arrived! We put up plywood on the north side to block wind and I’m heading to home depot today to look at clear vinyl as well as clear corrugated plastic panels (recommended by someone here...I posted my question this morning in the wrong area I think 😜) How are the tarps working out? We get so much wind I’m worried it will flap amd freak the girls out. We are also up in the Northern Lower...near Bliss.

Back
Top Bottom