Winter Squash

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by keaniebeanie, Nov 3, 2009.

1. keaniebeanie

keaniebeanie Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Vermont
    I know I can feed the seeds and flesh, but what about the skin? I just peeled a butternut squash and am wondering if I should throw those in the run too. I gave a pumpkin cut in half last week and it was all gone within 2 days. Skin and all. [​IMG] Just want to make sure I don't feed something I shouldn't.

2. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Since they ate the skin from the pumpkin, skin from any other squash is OK. That is if they deem it fit to eat with little flesh and no seeds.
    They can be very picky sometimes. [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine eat the insides and leave the skin, amazing how they can trim it down to an empty casing...

4. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    My girls had their first experience with a spaghetti squash shell & seeds, yesterday. . . it was not an immediate hit, but they made all but the shell "all gone", before going to bed for the night!

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Mine love spaghetti squash. I grew extra this year to have some for them occasionally this winter. I gave them two pumpkins cut in half a couple of days ago. They liked it but not nearly as much as the spaghetti squash. They also liked the little bit of butternut squash I gave them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by