Winter storm

Chickenmom99

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2021
So I live in Iowa and we just got about 6-8” of snow I have 6 chickens and 2 ducks. The coop I have them in isn’t very big but it’s warm and draft free we are in the process of building a new chicken coop now that’s way bigger. But my question is with winds up to 15mph and it feeling like 6 degrees outside will they be okay if they leave to coop they never want to stay in unless it’s raining. They leave and either go under the deck or into the garage. I don’t have a fancy run yet but I have a way for fresh water and they have food. I just don’t know if they will be okay to leave.

I have scooped and put down a tarp so I can shake it off
It was 7F this morning when I went out. I open the entry door and let my birds out. I latch the door open and they can go in and out as they please. Once they have cleaned up the mealworms they go inside and roost covering up their feet. Remember chicken's body temp runs around 106F and they have two coats just like some dogs. A down coat underneath that they drape over their feet. Puff their feathers up to trap heat and retract their heads right down into those feathers. If you have cold hardy birds they will be alright. Look around the crows, blue jays, other small birds do fine in the winter.

Chickens know how to be chickens better than we know how to be chickens. :)

If you give them the option to go in or out they'll do what suits them.

Is your run entirely open or do you have some wind blocks that they can shelter behind if they want to? I use intact straw bales arranged to provide shelter from any possible wind direction because this part of NC can get storms from any direction but people with more consistent weather can just put a wind baffle on the normal upside side.

Back
Top Bottom