Winter temperature

Please remember that your chickens come with nice warm little down coats. It's actually unlikely that they'll need any supplemental heat during the winter. Think of all the wild birds you see outside all winter long. Also, if you provide supplemental heat and then lose the power suddenly during a sever weather event, your chickens will be subjected to suddent temperature changes that they're not prepared for.

I live in New England, quite a bit north of you, and don't provide any supplemental heat in the winter. My chickens do just fine. And unless it's actually storming out, spend most of their days outside in the run anyway.

Make sure your coop has good ventilation (at the top or high on the wall is best) and doesn't have leaks or a lot of drafts. You also want to give them a nice sturdy, wide, perch so they can tuck their feet under them at night. A 2x4 set so they perch on the 4" part works great.

Good luck.

Please remember that your chickens come with nice warm little down coats.  It's actually unlikely that they'll need any supplemental heat during the winter.  Think of all the wild birds you see outside all winter long.  Also, if you provide supplemental heat and then lose the power suddenly during a sever weather event, your chickens will be subjected to suddent temperature changes that they're not prepared for.

I live in New England, quite a bit north of you, and don't provide any supplemental heat in the winter.  My chickens do just fine.  And unless it's actually storming out, spend most of their days outside in the run anyway.

Make sure your coop has good ventilation (at the top or high on the wall is best) and doesn't have leaks or a lot of drafts.  You also want to give them a nice sturdy, wide, perch so they can tuck their feet under them at night.  A 2x4 set so they perch on the 4" part works great.

Good luck.
Agree 100%

I live in Eastern Canada, and it gets down to -20 on a regular basis. -40 with windchill. My coop usually stays a good deal warmer than the outside, but it still is cold enough to freeze any unheated water overnight.

The only heat I provide is to the water. In the form of either a purchased heated waterer, or home-made bases that keep the water liquid (cookie tin's with lights inside is enough to accomplish this).

Some breeds are sensitive to cold. I would recommend keeping those above freezing temperatures. IE: double dose of the frizzle gene would be something that would not be cold hardy.

Back
Top Bottom