Winter time chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fraoch21, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    I was hoping to buy some eggs for the incubator this week, hopefully some pekins/bantam cochins and dutch. I realise chicks in the winter will have to stay under the heat much longer but how long is that? The winter in scotland is very unpredictable so it could stay be as low as -10 degrees C in the nights or it could be much warmer.
    Normally when I hatch in the summer, the chicks stay in the kitchen for the first 4 weeks ish and then in the shed outside ( a bit draughty, but could probably be sealed) untill I wean them off the heat lamp, so another 4 weeks is?
    Is it worth buying cheaper eggs and spending more on electricity?
    Has anyone else done this through a harsh winter, was it really hard work and did any of the chicks die from the cold?

2. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they sell hatching eggs at this time of year? I was considering getting some chicks, but they aren't available locally right now.

3. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Ive just bought some off eBay, there is less choice but the eggs sell for less since less people are hatching at this time of the year

4. theawesomechick

IMO, you should be fine as long as you incubate and raise your chicks in the house, if the house isn't too cold for you it shouldn't be too cold for the chicks, either. You may need to keep them in the house longer and provide them with a heat lamp once they go out into the coop. But then again, I've never incubated eggs, and my first batch of chickens aren't even laying yet, so get someone more experienced to advise you.

I think that it's worth spending a little more electricity. I know that I'm getting desperate for some more chicks. [​IMG]

5. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    I hvent hatched anything for a few months and im getting a bit desperate too![​IMG]
    I figured they would be alright, I'll be giving them extra heat and I'll keep them in the house for a couple of extra weeks

6. theawesomechick

Worst case scenario, you'll just end up with a house full of diaper-wearing chickens.

7. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    That would be fine by me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by