Winter tips for ducks?

LoveMyDaisyGirl

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2016
Nebraska
Hello! My ducks are 10 weeks old and this is the first time I've ever owned ducks. This summer has been a learning experience as far as keeping them cool (using a baby pool, a fan in the window of their house, letting them play in the sprinkler, and providing shade). So now I thought I'd be prepared and ask for some tips and advice for how to best care for them this coming winter! I plan on using straw bales for insulation and also letting them lay in piles of it. I'll also keep the windows closed but still make sure they have plenty of ventilation. I'm still not sure if I'll need a heated water dish in their house or a heat lamp? Plus how long do I let them stay outside during the day? Those are some of my questions and I'm open to any and all advice! Thank you all!!

I hope they survive, because i cant give them shelter nor predator protection. I already lost 2 ducks against predators. I gave them 100x100 meter yard for them self and they better find a proper shelter by they own.

You need to rehome them right away. Looks like you did not understand domestic ducks.

There is a free rehoming forum on BYC. Please let someone who can manage them take them in.

They won't survive.

Excuse me, Dadaas--I did not state the obvious. If you want to have ducks, you MUST provide for them. That's just how it is. Your choices are: build a sheltered area for them to live (protected from predators and cold) while feeding, watering, and cleaning up after them.......or you can find a home for them where they will be cared for.........or you can keep doing what you're doing now, and wait for the predators to pick them off. It WILL happen.

99.9% of the duck owners here are amazingly WONDERFUL, hard working, deeply caring folks who do their absolute best for their birds. But I've seen too many posts here recently basically asking us to tell folks it's perfectly alright for them to do ZIP, ZERO, NADA to properly feed and protect their ducks. It's very frustrating.

If you can't or won't do what is NECESSARY to keep your ducks happy (providing proper space, socialization and enrichment), healthy (proper body maintenance, access to veterinary care, clean living conditions), fed (healthy feed) and protected (SECURE, properly sized and maintained coops, runs and pastures), then DON'T OWN DUCKS!!!

And you can't use the excuse "Well, they just showed up here, were dumped here etc, so I don't OWN them!" Because once you decide to feed them and let them stay on your property, they come to RELY on you and you are officially responsible for them.

If you don't have the desire or ability to care for ducks - or ANY animal - find them another home, call the SPCA or animal control. But don't just leave them at the mercy of predators and the elements.

End of rant - time for about a gallon of coffee.

I've had ducks for years and I have never had one to build their own coop. That is up to you to provide them protection. You have already lost 2 to a predator. They will be back to get your remaining ducks. Please find them another home with someone who can provide them with a coop.

I made the investment in an electrically heated water bowl. It is 100% safe; all wiring has been molded onto the rubber of the bowl. As for the cord, it has a strong spring/wire wrapped around it. I need to use an extension cord, so after plugging the thing in, I always keep the plugs above ground, so snow can't bury them and seep into the connection. This item was a bit pricey--about $30.00, but it will last for years, so I feel it is worth the expense.
My ducks all eat "duck food"--crumbles made mostly from corn. It comes in 40-pound bags for about $18.00/bag. I sometimes give them treats--usually thawed out frozen peas, which is crack for ducks!
They live in a duck house at night--a completely covered wooden home with one open doorway. They all huddle together. I can't believe how tough they are! Really, with shelter, I don't worry about them freezing, since they have shown me how happy they can be in Colorado in wintertime.

What are your tempatures normally in the winter. Ducks do very well in the winter, better than chickens. Because of their water proof feathers and insulation. If it gets below freezing than yes you will need a heated waterer. But NO heat lamp. It is unnecessary and dangerous. Especially in a coop full of straw. I would leave the coop door open and let them go in and out as they please. They can decide for themselves if their too cold to be outside. Also corn retains heat so it's a good treat to give before sending them to bed. Or a bowl of warm oatmeal in the morning.

Last edited:
What are your tempatures normally in the winter. Ducks do very well in the winter, better than chickens. Because of their water proof feathers and insulation. If it gets below freezing than yes you will need a heated waterer. But NO heat lamp. It is unnecessary and dangerous. Especially in a coop full of straw. I would leave the coop door open and let them go in and out as they please. They can decide for themselves if their too cold to be outside. Also corn retains heat so it's a good treat to give before sending them to bed. Or a bowl of warm oatmeal in the morning.

Well here in Nebraska I'd say in the winter the lows are usually between the teens to 40s. On really bad nights it can get to almost 0 with the windchill. I can definitely get some cracked corn and oatmeal every day for them to help keep them warm! And a heated bucket too! Thank you for the advice!

Well here in Nebraska I'd say in the winter the lows are usually between the teens to 40s. On really bad nights it can get to almost 0 with the windchill. I can definitely get some cracked corn and oatmeal every day for them to help keep them warm! And a heated bucket too! Thank you for the advice!

Your welcome, but try to not over do it on the treats. Especially if their laying ducks, you want to feed about 10% of their diet in treats.

Back
Top Bottom