1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Tips

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 44Wolves, Dec 29, 2010.

1. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    Here are a few winter tips:
    • If your hens are free-range, and HATE snow, shovel a circle of the snow around their coop so they can peck.
    • Give them scratch!
    • Put a heater in, but not a heated water. Instead of just warmig their water, warm THEM with the water!
    • Add extra litter/hay
    • Make sure if your chooks enjoy snow that it is NO deeper than their Crop.
    • Shovel the snow on the roof of coop and Run off! You DO NOT want it to cave in on your chooks!
    • check for eggs (large farmers) Every hour or 2, so no eggs freeze, crack and are eaten by hens and (small farmers) check at least once a day!
    • Look for tracks near the coop: They may be a lions for all I know of the predators in your area!

2. Tinstarmule

Tinstarmule Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal
    I read on a diff thread that scratch is a "hot feed". So my question is how long from the time they eat it until they get peak heat from metabolizing it? I know horses get their peak heat after 6-8 hours so evening feed time becomes important to make them the warmest at the coldest part of the night. What about chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by