Winter water suggestions

Some people have chickens that they say never learn to use the nipples. I have a method that has never failed. I put the new waterer with nipples in the run. I remove all other sources of water and I walk away. Have never had a chicken die from lack of water. Usually the chickens are using the new waterer within an hour. I would hesitate to change to nipples when it's very hot or very cold. Some chickens will probably be a bit slower to get enough water and I would prefer that to happen when the temperatures are more moderate.

Chickens are curious. They are attracted to the shiny metal and the color red. They will peck the nipple and run away. When nothing scary happens they will peck the nipple more and eventually stop running away. Doesn't take them long to realize that water comes out of the nipple.
Good to know, I know previously I had the cups with the yellow trigger and they couldn’t figure it out. Maybe didn’t give them enough time. I’m gonna order rent a coop nipples.

And is it difficult to teach them how to use?
Best way is to pick a day when you can check in on them, that's fairly moderate in temperature, and take away all other sources of water except the new nipple waterer.

Depending on how friendly your chickens are, you can pick up a few and use their beaks to toggle the silver toggle, and allow them to drink a couple of drops to show them what to do - or you can toggle the silver toggle with your finger in a pecking motion when the birds are watching, then let them drink the droplets, and repeat a couple of times so they make the association.

Good to know, I know previously I had the cups with the yellow trigger and they couldn’t figure it out. Maybe didn’t give them enough time. I’m gonna order rent a coop nipples.
I use all rent a coop horiz nipples . Love them .. I have them outside on a plastic trash can with the stock tank heater shown by jreardon. I also have added a aquarium pump to circulate water. No problems last year. It can get to -20 wind chill here. I would just take in house each night if no electricity.

Have you had any issues with wattles being wet then getting frostbite with this waterer? Thank you.
I have the same problem with one of my girls and i switched to nipples on a 5 gallon bucket with a 50 watt preset aquarium heater. I did it yesterday but im now concerned there not drinking enough,

Back
Top Bottom