Winter water

JDonn127

Songster
Jun 25, 2020
Bucks County Pa
Thoughts and opinions on this is greatly appreciated....I’m using a 2 gal bucket with 4 horizontal nipples

Attachments

• 92C5AA00-5B6F-4D33-827C-0BD6B9F5E601.png
    92C5AA00-5B6F-4D33-827C-0BD6B9F5E601.png
    594.1 KB · Views: 24
I am picking one of these up today.... i keep water and food in run and have been bringing the water in every night...can i leave it out when i istall the de-icer?

I am picking one of these up today.... i keep water and food in run and have been bringing the water in every night...can i leave it out when i istall the de-icer?
Should be just fine... I leave mine in 24/7.

BUT if they are where the wind blasts the waterer, it might get a little icy...

A wind block around the waterer is a huge help.

I’ve used those in my bucket and horizontal nipples for years. Works well! And I agree on the wind block by the waterer, as stated above.

That is the one we use in a 5 gallon bucket with HN. We check the chickens early morning and before bed to make sure the water is still flowing. It generally is. But on a few occasions we have found the mechanism a bit frozen. A tiny bit of persuading is all it takes to free up. And that is generally when it is very cold. The water never freezes in the bucket.

We check the chicks at bed time. They are in the coop and the water is in the run. They don't drink at night, but checking the food and water is something we do at least twice a day. Along with doing a head and wellness count and lastly checking the perimeter for security.

Back
Top Bottom