Winter water?

Pics
You are right about this. I did extend a gutter downspout under a walkway out from the house down a slope. It has possibilities. My rain barrels can be set up to be de-Iced to drain in the winter, and they can also be set up as planters. My coops don't have gutters and now and then I research ways to keep water runoff from being a problem. Fortunately, the ground here is sloped and the ground is usually dry, so the solution can be on back burner.

My most immediate concern is how to keep my birds from perching on their waterers. My bucket waterers have flat lids of course, and they are a pita to open and close to fill and clean, especially in sub freezing temps. I have a bucket opener, but it is just a small help, and I don't want to finance the expense of gamma lids for them all. I thought I could drill holes in the lids - through which to stick hose ends (and heaters when it's freezing) - but the birds peck out the plugs I put in, and their feces drop in and run down into the water when they perch on the top of the bucket. I like the concept of the bucket nipple waterers, but the lids are a problem for my arthritic hands; a lid covering, or clips to hold the lids on, or perching deterrents might work. I am considering running a bulkhead thing through the side at the top of the bucket and attaching a quick connect for a garden hose connection. Maybe an additional hole up around the top could act as an overflow and let me know when the bucket was full. Maybe it could be an overflow hose sort of thing that I could use to flush the bucket now and then. A notch in the side of the bucket could allow for the cord of a heater. Ok, I will think on it. Thanks for your help. Maybe I can use these ideas for my 55 gallon drum waterers? For anyone who might consider doing some such thing, it is IMPORTANT to consider BACK FLOW issues, no?

What is a curtain drain?
My plan is to use a 5 gal kitty litter bucket. The lid is "hinged" and easy to lift. If you had a piece of plywood at a 45* angle over the top of your bucket, that would keep them off. Or perhaps a bit of garden fencing wire bent into a steep arch. Or you could make a cone out of some sort of flexible vinyl. The top wouldn't need to be secured tightly. I do like your idea about putting a hose connect in the bucket for easy filling, or a hole in the top. Cold weather and arthritis certainly do put a damper on the ease of tending the birds.

You are right about this. I did extend a gutter downspout under a walkway out from the house down a slope. It has possibilities. My rain barrels can be set up to be de-Iced to drain in the winter, and they can also be set up as planters. My coops don't have gutters and now and then I research ways to keep water runoff from being a problem. Fortunately, the ground here is sloped and the ground is usually dry, so the solution can be on back burner.

My most immediate concern is how to keep my birds from perching on their waterers. My bucket waterers have flat lids of course, and they are a pita to open and close to fill and clean, especially in sub freezing temps. I have a bucket opener, but it is just a small help, and I don't want to finance the expense of gamma lids for them all. I thought I could drill holes in the lids - through which to stick hose ends (and heaters when it's freezing) - but the birds peck out the plugs I put in, and their feces drop in and run down into the water when they perch on the top of the bucket. I like the concept of the bucket nipple waterers, but the lids are a problem for my arthritic hands; a lid covering, or clips to hold the lids on, or perching deterrents might work. I am considering running a bulkhead thing through the side at the top of the bucket and attaching a quick connect for a garden hose connection. Maybe an additional hole up around the top could act as an overflow and let me know when the bucket was full. Maybe it could be an overflow hose sort of thing that I could use to flush the bucket now and then. A notch in the side of the bucket could allow for the cord of a heater. Ok, I will think on it. Thanks for your help. Maybe I can use these ideas for my 55 gallon drum waterers? For anyone who might consider doing some such thing, it is IMPORTANT to consider BACK FLOW issues, no?

What is a curtain drain?

A curtain drain is similar to a foundation drain but instead of being down below the footers is close to the surface. A shallow ditch is dug, the crushed stone and perforated pipe are laid down, covered with the dirt screen cloth (to keep dirt from getting in the perforated pipe) then filled with stone (still with a ditch like depression) this is at the drip line of the roof. The rain comes off the roof, lands in the stone filled ditch and enters the pipe at the bottom to be directed through non perforated pipe to somewhere you want it (or at least away from where you DON'T want it). I have one on the high side of my barn. Before it was put in, anytime it rained hard, the water ran down the floor (dirt and sloped) and into the lower part where the chickens are.

I am using a 5 gallon Igloo drink cooler to feed a 3/4" pipe with saddle nipples. It is outside the coop and sits about 3' off the ground. Easy to take the lid off to add water and the birds have no access to it because it is in a cheesy box with a door; made out of available pieces of scrap plywood.

I agree with LG, make a cone of some sort so the birds can't land on the bucket. And you don't need to snap the cover on the bucket, just lay it on top.

A curtain drain is similar to a foundation drain but instead of being down below the footers is close to the surface. A shallow ditch is dug, the crushed stone and perforated pipe are laid down, covered with the  dirt screen cloth (to keep dirt from getting in the perforated pipe) then filled with stone (still with a ditch like depression) this is at the drip line of the roof. The rain comes off the roof, lands in the stone filled ditch and enters the pipe at the bottom to be directed through non perforated pipe to somewhere you want it (or at least away from where you DON'T want it). I have one on the high side of my barn. Before it was put in, anytime it rained hard, the water ran down the floor (dirt and sloped) and into the lower part where the chickens are.

I am using a 5 gallon Igloo drink cooler to feed a 3/4" pipe with saddle nipples. It is outside the coop and sits about 3' off the ground. Easy to take the lid off to add water and the birds have no access to it because it is in a cheesy box with a door; made out of available pieces of scrap plywood.

I agree with LG, make a cone of some sort so the birds can't land on the bucket. And you don't need to snap the cover on the bucket, just lay it on top.  

Thank you , Bruce. OK, I know what a curtain drain is now. I have seen one done, in a situation just such as yours, for a house on a steep slope. I didn't know what they were called.

I like the idea of your Igloo. And enclosing it and locating it outside the coop. My coops and runs are exposed to high winds and just laying the lids on top usually does not work; what the birds don't knock asunder, the winds send to Kansas. I've tried using a cone, and it works best and is most durable when used in wind protectected areas. Well, all the ideas are excellent, and they've certainly inspired more ideas.

So do your saddle mount drinkers not freeze in the winter? Thanks or your help and input. They are valuable.

My plan is to use a 5 gal kitty litter bucket.  The lid is "hinged" and easy to lift.  If you had a piece of plywood at a 45* angle over the top of your bucket, that would keep them off.  Or perhaps a bit of garden fencing wire bent into a steep arch.  Or you could make a cone out of some sort of flexible vinyl.  The top wouldn't need to be secured tightly.  I do like your idea about putting a hose connect in the bucket for easy filling, or a hole in the top.  Cold weather and arthritis certainly do put a damper on the ease of tending the birds.  

What good ideas! I like the garden fencing solution and have all the things I would need. And the Kitty Litter boxes are a great fix for hard to open buckets. I will probably have to trade eggs for them, though, since I don't have cats
1f62a.png
. I am going to look for them. In the future I am going to avoid drilling holes in the tops of anything: the laws of gravity and poop are simply too inviolable. I have been researching the garden hose adapters necessary to fit my waterers with hose fittings, and they are not easy to find. PlumbingSupply.com looks promising, and won't break the bank. I have done something like this long ago, but Today I need to look up some tutorials. We'll see. Am also considering some sort of auto-filler thing for the large barrels. Ooh, lots to think about. Thanks for your help and inspiration.

What good ideas! I like the garden fencing solution and have all the things I would need. And the Kitty Litter boxes are a great fix for hard to open buckets. I will probably have to trade eggs for them, though, since I don't have cats
1f62a.png
. I am going to look for them. In the future I am going to avoid drilling holes in the tops of anything: the laws of gravity and poop are simply too inviolable. I have been researching the garden hose adapters necessary to fit my waterers with hose fittings, and they are not easy to find. PlumbingSupply.com looks promising, and won't break the bank. I have done something like this long ago, but Today I need to look up some tutorials. We'll see. Am also considering some sort of auto-filler thing for the large barrels. Ooh, lots to think about. Thanks for your help and inspiration.
You should be able to get the kitty litter buckets free. Just do some networking among your friends... or where ever you have social contacts. I can pick some up almost every week at my local dump. Often, folks set them to the side b/c they know that us scavengers will pick them up.

These are my 3 new ladys and they have been in quarantine for 2 weeks today. I have checked them and they look good to me but my friend is comen later to check them for me cuz this is my 1st year and hes been doin it for 4 years. Finaly all my ladys together at last!!

These are my 3 new ladys and they have been in quarantine for 2 weeks today. I have checked them and they look good to me but my friend is comen later to check them for me cuz this is my 1st year and hes been doin it for 4 years. Finaly all my ladys together at last!!

These girls look precious to me. Hope your friend gave them a thumbs up and they do well for you. My old house is vinyl covered and I just love the maintenance-free aspect of it. It was wise to use left over siding that way and put the gutters up. I keep some of my breeders in set ups just like yours: a doghouse inside a small shed, only my "shed" is a small tarp covered hoop coop. The dog house is a large plastic Walmart special.. Good for isolating newcomers, I'd think.

Thank you and yes all went well and my ladys are all together. Final! So we dusted everyone befor we put the new ladys in with the others the OG ladys got frazzled one went into the old coop and the new coop and shes not suposed to be in there yet. But shes gonna stay there for tonight

I like the idea of your Igloo. And enclosing it and locating it outside the coop. My coops and runs are exposed to high winds and just laying the lids on top usually does not work; what the birds don't knock asunder, the winds send to Kansas. I've tried using a cone, and it works best and is most durable when used in wind protectected areas. Well, all the ideas are excellent, and they've certainly inspired more ideas.

So do your saddle mount drinkers not freeze in the winter? Thanks or your help and input. They are valuable.

Not often! But only because I have the pipe buried in the bottom of the nest box, rigid insulation around it and only the pin of the nipple sticking out below the plywood bottom. AND there is a small reptile waterfall pump in the cooler that continuously circulates the water through the pipe AND a stock tank heater in the cooler (heats to 40F I think) when the temps are about 15F or higher, replaced with a submersible aquarium heater set to 70F when it is colder. That works to about -20F. The saddle nipples have a WHOLE lot more exposed plastic than "in the bucket" vertical or horizontal nipples so it is harder to keep them from freezing. Lots of distance between the water in the vessel and the pin.

My situation is different than a lot of people's. There is an ancient (like pre Civil War ancient) post and beam bank barn with a lower shed section added probably in the early 1900's. It has "issues" but isn't yet falling down
wink.png
The chicken coop is a repurposed horse stall about halfway down the shed section. The girls have the entire 70'x8' "alley" and the 2 other unused stalls as their indoor run so it isn't difficult for me to have the water outside the coop yet out of the weather. You could certainly build an insulated box from plywood and mount it to the outside of your coop.

Back
Top Bottom