1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter watered?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by calamityfarm, Dec 27, 2013.

1. calamityfarm

calamityfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    Connecticut
    Hi All, I have always used a nipple watered in the warm months but switch to fortex bowls in the winter so I can dump and smash the ice out. They are always filthy and a pain to clean. This year, due to surgery I had, my husband had to take over animal care. In an effort to make it easier for him I bought small de-icers. They work great but still have the filthy water issue. Do you think it could go back to the nipple watered with the de-icer in it or would the water in the nipple portion freeze? Any thoughts?

2. NYcue

NYcue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    I use a 5 gallon bucket with nipples here in NY where the temperate this morning was 5 degrees. A de-icer would work... I use a birthbath heater in my bucket. You should know though... that if the nipples are exposed to wind... they could freeze. To prevent that... some people use a second bucket with the bottom cut out. They slide that second bucket over the first which when cut properly... will over hang the first bucket by an inch or two which then prevents the nipples from being exposed to the wind. I don't use this second bucket idea as I put the bucket with the nipples in the corner of the run which is wind-blocked. Haven't had any issues with the nipples or the water freezing.

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    I use this stock tank heater has a built-in thermostat so it only runs when it has to, it will keep 30 gallons of water thawed so 5 is no problem and the nipples work perfectly no matter what the temperature, I leave the lid locked on all the way around except where the cord comes out and the water stays crystal clear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by