WINTER - Watering without electricity in coop (question)

During the coldest months my cooped birds may have water for only an hour or so in morning because it freezes so fast. They go after it hard before freezes. In nature red jungle fowl are reputed to seek out water only once in morning. They also can consume more hydrated vegetation and animal prey. Most of us use more de-hydrated grain based feeds so fluid water requirements potentially higher. To get around water freezing up problem i supplemt with cut up fruit. It freezes solid as well but birds treat like a popsicle. Chickens, like most birds, have capacity to go extended periods without fluid water. They are very good at scavenging water produced by break down of food consumed. The get rid of carbon dioxide and uric acid (nitrogen) but retain water more effeciently than most mammals.

I have to haul water for the ducks anyway since they need water with food so I just haul 3or 4 gallon jugs out to the coop 2 times a day I do have one heated bowl

I'm sure they would. Mine find every water source around. They have favorite puddles, scattered around, after a rain. I used to keep a bowl filled right next to the house for another animal and they routinely came around and drank as a group 3 or 4 times a day. Now there is a slowly dripping faucet that keeps a puddle near it; I put a bowl there, and clean it out about once a day, and mostly they use it, as well as the puddles made by the same faucet. I keep water in the coop and I see chickens drinking after laying, plus the broody uses it, but the waterers in the coop go down very slowly since they found the drippy faucet. It's as insulated as it needs to be for our winters, so my winter water problem has been solved -- by the chickens.

Each morning I take water out when I carry their hot mash out for breakfast. I have a gallon milk jug that I water the rabbits with and one for the chickens plus I switch out a one liter bottle on the old rabbit waterer I have in the coop for the chickens.

"One of these days" when we get "around to it" there will be electricity and water in the coop and rabbitry . For now I take water out as they need it. We seldom get snow so that is not a problem.

We have a 75 gal horse tank that has a drain plug heater in it. We keep it outside the coop area and use a 5 gal bucket to scoop water out and pour in to buckets inside the coops. The buckets are that black rubber stuff and the ice breaks out of them easily. Best system we have done so far. The tank heater is thermostatically controlled. It still sucks the juice though. The alternative is filling a 5 gallon bucket a couple times and carrying it out to the coops.

I hump the water up the hill. I have around 35 chickens. The barn is 1600 feet away. The coop is part of the barn, with 1200 sq ft of fenced run. I carry gallon jugs up the hill to the barn every evening. Sometimes I am tired so I drive up in the truck. I have electricity in the coop now, and a water line is being dug this weekend, but if I didn't have them I would still hump the water up the hill.
I am going to buy one of the galvanized water heaters for the winter. Maybe two.
joebryant how far away are the chickens from the house?

I lug a couple of gallons out a day once in the early morning and once before dark. They get warm water. It's a pain in the butt. I don't mind though. Keeps me active. I am used to lifting things. I might try a heated waterer if it's not too costly. I am still thinking on it.

Back
Top Bottom