winter watering

colt1

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
can anyone give me any suggestions on how to keep my water from freezing .i live in central ontario canada.

I'm trying to figure the same thing out myself. I'm planning on insulating the coop in the hopes that helps, but if not, I thought about lagging the pvc pipe, but then I'd need another pipe over the top to stop the hens pecking the foam...
hu.gif

There really aren't many choices. A heated dog water bowl is probably the easiest, or you can build a heater for your waterer for a few bucks with a cookie tin and lamp socket -- if you have power. Some use those large black rubber livestock pans because they are easy to break ice out of.

Quote:
I agree. The over-sized heated dog dishes are inexpensive and work very well. I find the bowl itself to be too limiting on water, so I just set a small, one gallon pail into the bucket and it works like a charm. Once we get down to -20F, I am carrying water twice a day. Nothing works at those temps. The hens appreciate the warm water anyhow. Thank goodness, it only gets that cold for a few weeks.

Hi! I use the heated dog bowl, but they do get it messy pretty quickly. So, no, they don't get slimy because you have to clean them and re-fill at least once a day.

Which is why I like setting a small pail into the heated bowl, rather than trying to constantly fill and clean the dog bowl itself. That isn't fun in zero weather. By having a few pails, I head out to the coop with a full pail and just swap out the old one. I bring the old pail into the house to clean and I always have a pail to fill and take out on my next trip to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom