Winter Weather Prep Advice

wtrsfam4

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 13, 2016
Looking for some advice on winter weather prep in IL. We have a 4x8 coop that is 9ft tall and angles to 6ft in back. Plenty of ventilation and space for 8-10 chickens. Unfortunately, we are down to 4 chickens. Last winter was brutal and our rooster didn’t make it through last cold snap (negative temps) with some girls (7 total) having some minimal signs of frostbite on combs.

Anyone think I can make it warm enough for 4 chickens in this space without using alternate heat source? Or should I get a smaller coop for them for this winter until we get more chickens in the spring?

Can you post some pictures of your coop (all sides) that show how it is ventilated? Moisture in the coop causes frostbite and cold chickens. Also make sure there are no drafts blowing over where the chickens roost.

I was just looking for answers for my female quail. I moved them from a ground pen to a hutch because I feared they would freeze this winter. Since the move the girls are unhappy not being on the ground and keep getting out. I wanted to know if they would survive a TN winter on the ground, but now I'm thinking no

Attachments

• 20180908_122728.jpg
    20180908_122728.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom