winter weather

CraziChickLady

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
North Carolina
So i got a couple of questions. Im new to owning chickens. Do they lay in the winter...i live in north carolina and it doesnt get real cold here the lowest is probably 30s . also ive been using a red 250 watt light outside of the coop to keep them warm, is it ok to use a red light or does it make them aggressive? thank you :)

Your chickens will lay through out the winter if you have the right lighting and they don't molt. I have heard before that red light can make them more aggressive but I really don't know it could just be a myth!
Good luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
Hey Crazichick lady I am in NC too.
frow.gif
I was wondering the same thing about wintering the girls. We havent set up a light yet. I wonder if it is to late? I was kind of hesitant because technically we arent supposed to have our ladies in city limits. So I kind of worry setting up a light might draw attention to them.

You don't need the light for heat. My girls lay all winter with no light, they free range in the snow. I live in Ohio and it gets pretty cold and windy here. What kind of birds do you have.
Michele

i'm from NC too.
frow.gif

I have about 11 chickens right now and were not using a heat lamp. Its been pretty windy here but they stay out all day and then go into the coop at night. We have insulated the coop and put a tarp over top to keep out the wind. They all seem very happy, and i've heard unless its freezing not to add light because they don't sleep as well. But who knows i'm new to this thing too; lol. Good luck and let us know what you do.

yey go N.C. :) i have 1 barred rock and 2 rir. i ended up putting a heat light outside of the coop during the early morning hours and thats it, because i work early and i want to see them before i go :), they seem to like it , there more active in the morning now but they free range durning the day so there not by the light anyway. does anyone know when these breeds start to lay ? there around 21 - 22 weeks! i cant wait anymore!! Zyndyna : i dont think you need a light as long as your coop is well insuslated but still ventilated, esspecialy in nc i just read this artical that really helped me out

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-coop-temperatures

I could use a little advise, we have had our hens since April so this will be our first winter with chickens, the make shift coop we have had them in was 8ft on the bottom with a 4x4 hutch on the top with a drop down trap door for them to access food water and te ground to peck at, in fortunately there's not a good way to keep hey of any type in the top when the door is open and too small for them to stay shut in , we transformed a portion of our lean to into a 7ft long by 5 ft wide by 5 ft tall, with roost and nesting boxes and food and water , will it hurt them to stay inside that structure for the winter it has a window for daylight and a heat bulb if needed at night, it does not however have access to be able to freely go in and out. My dad used to raise chickens and he said they always kept them enclosed for the winter after the snow started , I have kiln dried wood shavings for the bottom with some straw as well.

I could use a little advise, we have had our hens since April so this will be our first winter with chickens, the make shift coop we have had them in was 8ft on the bottom with a 4x4 hutch on the top with a drop down trap door for them to access food water and te ground to peck at, in fortunately there's not a good way to keep hey of any type in the top when the door is open and too small for them to stay shut in , we transformed a portion of our lean to into a 7ft long by 5 ft wide by 5 ft tall, with roost and nesting boxes and food and water , will it hurt them to stay inside that structure for the winter it has a window for daylight and a heat bulb if needed at night, it does not however have access to be able to freely go in and out. My dad used to raise chickens and he said they always kept them enclosed for the winter after the snow started , I have kiln dried wood shavings for the bottom with some straw as well.
How many birds do you have and where do you live?

I see no reason to confine birds during the winter. Mine are out in the coop all the time and when I free ranged they were out every day. Lots of folks here have birds who range in the snow most days. Personally, I know I'd go crazy being shut up all winter! I know birds aren't humans, but I also don't confine any of my other animals during the winter....dogs, cats, horses, goats, pigs and ducks. Fresh air and sunshine are so important!

I raise my chicks using red heat lamp bulbs. I dont think color has anything to do with them being aggressive. Keeping them cooped up in the winter is what makes them aggressive. Being pent up in tight quarters without some freedom to move around free ranging or within a run area is stressful to them. Trust that if the weather is too cold, they will migrate to the coop where it is warmer. They seek shelter much like we would!

I think you are so right, we live in Vermont, 3 little girls, they get by just fine, if it is really cold, or they are moulting, we take notice, otherwise they are fine and happy

Back
Top Bottom