Wintering ducks in Alaska

alaska-chick72

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
interior Alaska
Is there any one here from interior Alaska that might give me some tips on wintering over ducks? I was unprepared this year but got my little flock warm and cozy in their 'coop.'

I know we have at least one Alaskan on the Duck Forum.... There is also the Where Am I Where Are You Forum. But my experience has been that duck questions get quicker responses on the Duck Forum.

Thank you Amiga for your reply, And to those that just take a peek,,,, If you would be so kind to post what atate you are in ,,, that would be great. It gives me something to look forward to in reading where youre at and what you have.
big_smile.png

I am in Connecticut, and keep the ducks in our unheated walkout basement. I like the setup. I am much more in tune with how they are all doing, as I can hear their conversations. It is easy to get to them in the night. Fewer worries about subfreezing, blizzards, predators. And with daily light room service and the occasional hour long big super cleanout, the basement smells fine. In fact, better than it has sometimes before ducks were there, because I clean up every day.

It hit -27 last night. I knew it was going to get pretty cold so when I had gone to town yesterday I picked up 2 heat lamp bulbs. I put one in the ducks 'box' and went out this morning to check on the temp inside their box and it was above 40 in there,,, ill bet they were loving it. And the morning egg didn't have a chance to freeze,,,, YAY! Ill let them have the heat while its really cold and replace it when the weather warms up. Im sure ill notice a difference on the electric bill... :(

It hit -27 last night. I knew it was going to get pretty cold so when I had gone to town yesterday I picked up 2 heat lamp bulbs. I put one in the ducks 'box' and went out this morning to check on the temp inside their box and it was above 40 in there,,, ill bet they were loving it. And the morning egg didn't have a chance to freeze,,,, YAY! Ill let them have the heat while its really cold and replace it when the weather warms up. Im sure ill notice a difference on the electric bill... :(
-27, WOW!! That's cold.
If you could train the ducks to ride a tiny bicycle that's connected to a generator, then they could repay you for all the electricity they use at night. The hard part would be finding little tiny duck bicycle helmets.

It will get alot colder here in january and february. Last year a friends thermomiter was pegged out at -60. Thats as far as it would go. You know its cold out when your nose hairs freeze as soon as you step outside.

Back
Top Bottom