Wintering ducks in Alaska

Ducks handle cold well, but that is REALLY COLD!!! Wow.
I would say keep one lamp or heat lamp on a timer to go off as the sun is going down/temperature starts to drop. Observe the ducks, and how they are handling it/acting. Why type of ducks do you have? Also, make sure they a deep layer of shavings with thick straw over it, and they will hunker down and tuck their feet in.

The coop I have for my ducks is insulated and heated. I keep it around 45*. I just use a 1500w heater and a line voltage thermostat. It runs maybe an hour or two a day, depending on the temp outside.

It's not quite as cold down here, but still I don't think the ducks would last for very long out in the 60-70mph winter winds we get, nor the -20* temps if I left them outside in their pen.

Last edited:
Although I have no experience with cold weather, I do know:
1: protect from drafts
2: Deep litter for added heat

Then of course if you live in alaska a one ton door that rolls on barbarings
bun.gif

It hit -40 here this morning. I checked on the ducks in their box and they were happily quacking when I opened the lid. It was 43 above in there. The forcast is calling for cold temps all week with no break in sight. At least they have food, water and are warm.

Nate379,,,, I dont miss the palmer winds. But this cold up here sure is hard to deal with too. About 6 years ago I was at the gas station across from Nugents ranch and saw one of those 8x9 sheds blow across the road. And on another day I watched a lady open her door of her car and have the door almost ripped off the hinges because of the wind. It folded the door towards the hood. Poor gal.

Interesting. I am in interior Alaska too and we had -63 two days ago. I have chickens, which right now are in a garage kept above zero but not above freezing at these temps. I'm looking into getting ducks this spring because of my son's chicken egg allergy (he's not allergic to duck eggs, strangely enough) . Looking into different setups for overwintering ducks and if its feasible to keep a few of my chickens still. I'm crazy for keeping poultry here, but it beats store eggs. Lol.

Interesting. I am in interior Alaska too and we had -63 two days ago. I have chickens, which right now are in a garage kept above zero but not above freezing at these temps. I'm looking into getting ducks this spring because of my son's chicken egg allergy (he's not allergic to duck eggs, strangely enough) . Looking into different setups for overwintering ducks and if its feasible to keep a few of my chickens still. I'm crazy for keeping poultry here, but it beats store eggs. Lol.
Welcome to the forum, and were ya'll born in Alaska? sounds very extreme to me. course I live in the mountains of Western NC so I am mid south in this great country.
big_smile.png

I was born in southeast Alaska, south of Juneau.

Charitypearl, I am going to be looking for some more female ducks, or eggs this spring. Maybe even sooner if I can get some fertile ancona eggs to hatch out. Maybe we can combine forces in our quest?? I'm outside of Fairbanks about 40 to 50 miles.

Akchick72, I was born in ak. Spent the last nine years tattooin' in the 'banks. My wife and finally had enough this year and moved back down the palmer way this spring :). As for the ducks, we keep a heat lamp on in there box when it's cool (-10 or colder) we've had -20 out here on the kink river. The way our pen is set up our flock is allowed to go outside whenever they want, and they have been out every day, the trick seems to be keeping them dry & they seem to have figured that out, if they end up in the water dish they just shake it off and go about there business, as for the heat lamp, the electric company down here, MEA, is about half as much as GVEA charges, no fuel adjustments here :) good luck with the ducks and stay as warm as you can.

Back
Top Bottom