wintering peacocks in Canada

josie34

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Hi, I'm a newbie and I am wanting to get a pair of peafowl. I live in Ontario, Canada so the winters can be pretty harsh. what do I need to for housing the peafowl over winter? how warm should they be ect..

Thanks for any info I can get

Josie

Well if you have the time and money it would be nice to build them a little shed that is insulated.
I live in Utah so we have harsh winters too. I dont want to frame a shed just so I can insulate it. I am better with pipe so I am framing mine with pipe. I am gonna give them a heat lamp during the winter. Use a 2"x4" for the roost that way they can sit on their feet and keep them warm. Also are you planning on free ranging them? If not buy some bird netting becasue peacocks can fly.
Lastly but not least
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Hi, yes i would like to free range but I am scared they will fly away. Will they stay in their area around the housing or will they fly away when they feel the time is right. I want them to stay around but I would feel bad having them penned up. If I was to build an enclosure how high should it be?

Thank you
Josie

Quote:
It should be at least 6' high but the higher the better. The wire I have is 6 feet tall and we put a pole in the middle so the netting teepees down so the highest point it is 12' high. You would need to keep them penned up 6 months I think because they will fly away as soon as you open the door.

Thank you so much! That's good to know, I will looking into a pen now! They are such beautiful birds to have just fly away and not to be able to enjoy.

josie

I also live in Ontario. Our peafowl are in 10x10 wooden sheds, the tin roof is insulated but that is all. They make it through the winter just fine, no heat. Their perch is a 2x4 wider side up so they can use their body to heat their feet. Each trio has a 15x30 pen attached to the house that is 9ft high

Irene

Hello Josie,

We live in Northern Ontario we have our Peacocks in an non insulated House 8' X 8' square with the roof coming to 12' at center which they use in inclement weather. You will find that they will be outside no matter what time of year. If you get your peacocks as chick and keep them in a wire run off of their house until they are about three months old, you can then take down the run and they will not fly away. You will need the pen for the first three months to protect then from predatory birds. Peacock are very territorial and will defend their area with a vengeance. They are not great flyers so they can not fly far or high. I will warn you that the males are very vocal day and night and are not good for people who have neighbors close by or for light sleepers.

Hope this helps
Landon A

Hello Josie,

We live in Northern Ontario we have our Peacocks in an non insulated House 8' X 8' square with the roof coming to 12' at center which they use in inclement weather. You will find that they will be outside no matter what time of year. If you get your peacocks as chick and keep them in a wire run off of their house until they are about three months old, you can then take down the run and they will not fly away. You will need the pen for the first three months to protect then from predatory birds. Peacock are very territorial and will defend their area with a vengeance. They are not great flyers so they can not fly far or high. I will warn you that the males are very vocal day and night and are not good for people who have neighbors close by or for light sleepers.

Hope this helps
Landon A
Don't think they come here anymore this thread is like 3 years old.

Please post up some photos of your pretties in the show off your peas section of this forum, lots of pretties to share there
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom