Wintering the Flock

I have seen chicken people suggest putting Vaseline on the combs of chickens who have large combs, in the event of some really cold weather. This was reportedly to help protect the combs from frostbite. What are your thoughts on that?
My first mental image is of chickens with a big gob of dust, feathers and twigs stuck to their combs, like decorator shrimp.:rolleyes:

It is better to have a dry coop vs vaseline. While I live in a pretty dry climate, (and climate really should change the advice) when I have gotten frost bite, is not when it was very cold, but rather when it was when it warmed up, the ice and snow turned to water increasing the humidity, then got cold at night.

However, a little frostbite really is not life threatening. It is liked getting your face chapped with the cold. A little sore, but not life threatening. Sometimes I have had rooster loose the points on his comb, but he never seemed to notice it. I have never seen an ugly infection from frostbite, but I suppose it is possible. Again, have deep bedding in the coop. Frequently top the bedding with dry scratch, so the birds turn the bedding this will break up the manure, and keep the coop drier. Dry is best.

Mrs K

At this moment in time, Montana is under a winter storm watch/warning, however in Billings we are just getting rain and 34F. Our winter temperatures can have drastic swings, and come with nasty wind.

I wrapped my run in clear tarp, and I’ve added straw to my usual pine bedding.
My coop is too small/crowded to effectively do the deep-litter-method, so I take old bedding from the coop and spread it around the run floor, since the run does get wet from rain blowing in sideways.

I have not be able to successfully train my chickens to use a horizontal nipple waterer, so I just purchased a heated dog water bowl and will see how that works this season. I also have the black rubber tubs for water. I wish I didn’t have to use water bowls but that’s where we are at this time.

I like the idea of straw bales in the run to create a shelter and to bust boredom. I’ll have to look into purchasing those.

Is anything I’m doing right? I don’t know, but we will see.

Right now my biggest issue are voles in the run. They are getting into everything and all my methods of repelling, trapping, and disposing is nearly pointless. They have also found their way in my garage and cars.

I agree with @Mrs. K on the frostbite bit. Humidity in the coop is the culprit which is why you need GOOD ventilation so the more humid air can escape. I've never had a frostbite problem with my girls probably because their coop is a converted horse stall with 4' wood walls and 1/2" hardware cloth on the 3' above that on 3 walls. The barn is OLD, pre US Civil War, so it has plenty of air infiltrating all day and night.

I run heat for my chickens in the winter. We definitely get cold here in central Alberta, Canada. I have Bantams.
I stopped using straw because it's a great place for mites and lice to live. I learned the hard way..:hmm
I use pine shavings in my Coop and nest boxes. My outdoor run is covered with a tarp and I have the sides covered in vapour barrier plastic. I toss them alfalfa hay with scratch hidden inside for their scratching pleasure. My Run is sand so they still dust bath on nice days. The vapour barrier plastic acts like a greenhouse on sunny days so they love getting outside..
I use rubber livestock bowls for water all winter. I don't change the feed at all. I feed Grower finisher feed with Oyster shell in a separate dish.

Back
Top Bottom