Winterizing a coop for silkies

Sure would like to see this....so we could give valid advice.

Here you go!

Eglu Go Up Specs & Photos:
https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/portable-chicken-coop-eglu-go-up/

Eglu Combi-Weather Cover:
https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_k...be_-_6ft/?rf=263f80ced6b62c3c499e17122a627557

On the "Cube" model, the weather cover comes about half-way down, but on the "Go Up" model (what I have), it goes almost all the way down as in these photos from another Eglu Go Up user.

Hope this is helpful! I definitely want to make sure I'm doing my best to keep these fluffybutts happy and healthy as a first-timer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 2.32.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 2.32.21 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 2.31.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 2.31.54 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
In Colorado? In a blizzard? :eek:

Not in Colorado - but in France I think? That's why I'm trying to be extra careful & learn from experienced folks like you :) Here is the video I was talking about, see what you think! It's called "Are plastic poultry houses cold resistant?"

I will report back :) I found a YouTube video where someone used a wireless thermometer to track the winter nighttime temperature inside the Eglu Go Up and it was impressive!

I use an Arizona tea 1 gallon jug to monitor my coop with. If it's frozen in the morning I know it was cold the night before. I've had a skim on the jug a couple of times. Never frozen. I have a deep trough waterer and a base heater. Yes a heavy duty waterer can be used with a base heater. I even keep a couple of tea jugs on a base heater outside. As you can see from my profile I live in Maine. Western Mountains. We had a milder winter last year the year before 18-19 it was cold with a lot of snow. But I had four birds in a flimsy TSC coop and they did fine. Warped in tarp except for the door to open the nesting area.Snow is a great insulator. So I kept the snow piled around the tarp. Left enough area at the top so they could bet light in the lower part. They snuggle. And chickens run about 106F. Mini heaters.

Check under your Silkes wings and when they are nesting. You'll see how warm it is in those places. Ventilation is your friend. Dry birds are warm birds and happy too. If you see frost on your walls you need more ventilation. Birds breathing and pooping add moisture to your coop. Have plenty of food and water ( unfrozen) for them.

I use an Arizona tea 1 gallon jug to monitor my coop with. If it's frozen in the morning I know it was cold the night before. I've had a skim on the jug a couple of times. Never frozen. I have a deep trough waterer and a base heater. Yes a heavy duty waterer can be used with a base heater. I even keep a couple of tea jugs on a base heater outside. As you can see from my profile I live in Maine. Western Mountains. We had a milder winter last year the year before 18-19 it was cold with a lot of snow. But I had four birds in a flimsy TSC coop and they did fine. Warped in tarp except for the door to open the nesting area.Snow is a great insulator. So I kept the snow piled around the tarp. Left enough area at the top so they could bet light in the lower part. They snuggle. And chickens run about 106F. Mini heaters.

Check under your Silkes wings and when they are nesting. You'll see how warm it is in those places. Ventilation is your friend. Dry birds are warm birds and happy too. If you see frost on your walls you need more ventilation. Birds breathing and pooping add moisture to your coop. Have plenty of food and water ( unfrozen) for them.
That's good info! I had not thought about using snow as insulation.

Back
Top Bottom