Winterizing a coop

I live in Northern Michigan. I use wood chips and chopped straw in my coops in the winter. I'm going to switch out the chips on the poop boards this weekend for sand and pdz to see if it lasts longer than the costly chips as I clean the boards every 2-3.
I don't heat my coop it would be very bad If I did because we loose power often and sometimes for days and If my girls weren't acclimated to the cold and lost their heat source they could freeze to death. I do however supplement light. Also I cover my run walls w plastic and throw some straw in the run they love picking through it to find the scratch and treats I put out for them.

This is what I do with my Chickens in winter...I live in central Alberta.
My coop is insulated and well ventilated. I put clear plastic on the one side of the run to keep out wind and snow. The top of my run has a Tarp all year long to keep out snow and rain. My coop floor and run is all sand..I use pine shavings and straw in my nest boxes. My roosts are 2x4s flat side up so my hens can lay on their feet to keep them warm.
I do run a heat lamp when temps drop to -10..Keeps my water from freezing...I never change my feed, I will offer scratch before dark if the temps get really cold.
I always open the pop door so my chickens have the option to go outside if they choose too?
I have eggs all winter...My coop stays dry and my coop window never had condensation on it.....

That is what I do....

All the best to the cold Winter Chicken keepers

Last edited:
Do you use the feed bag only in the winter? And do you put anything else in the nesting box, or just the bag? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom