Winterizing Chicken Coop

Victoria_S

Chirping
May 26, 2020
Hello!

I have a flock of 6 chickens and plan on getting more, so I have a fairly large coop. For the winter, I wanted to block off half of the coop so that it would be warmer in there. The coop is 4x10. What type of material would work well for blocking off half the coop? It would still be properly ventilated but I just want to make the area smaller and warmer because the thermometer in the coop reads the same as the outside temperature currently. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Hello!

I have a flock of 6 chickens and plan on getting more, so I have a fairly large coop. For the winter, I wanted to block off half of the coop so that it would be warmer in there. The coop is 4x10. What type of material would work well for blocking off half the coop? It would still be properly ventilated but I just want to make the area smaller and warmer because the thermometer in the coop reads the same as the outside temperature currently. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
I don't think you need to do this. Our coop is normally the same temperature as outside. Our goal is to keep the humidity close to the outside. You mentioned ventilation, that is the key. If the chickens want to sleep close together they will snuggle on their own. I would advise, letting them decide. YMMV

I don't think you need to do this. Our coop is normally the same temperature as outside. Our goal is to keep the humidity close to the outside. You mentioned ventilation, that is the key. If the chickens want to sleep close together they will snuggle on their own. I would advise, letting them decide. YMMV
Ok thank you!

but I just want to make the area smaller and warmer
No, you don't ;)

because the thermometer in the coop reads the same as the outside temperature currently.
Perfect!

Is this your first winter with chickens?
The first one is hard, but then you'll see just how tough they are.

How cold does it get where you are?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1607549891217.png

An update on warmth, snuggling. We had one of the pullets decide to sleep in the trees in the woods behind behind our yard last night. This morning she was sitting at the side coop door to be let in (red X marks her waiting spot), while the other girls were waiting to be let out. It got down to 24F last night. She did fine.

Attachments

• 1607691616256.png
    1607691616256.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Thank you everyone! I feel much more comfortable now with keeping the coop as is throughout the winter. I have also been reading that I can put bag balm on the combs and wattles to prevent frostbite if necessary. Has anyone done this and has it worked? What temperature/ humidity would you start to apply it? I live in NJ so the lowest we'll probably get (rarely) is in the low negatives, and not in the negative 10s or 20s.

I have also been reading that I can put bag balm on the combs and wattles to prevent frostbite if necessary. Has anyone done this and has it worked?
No, don't do it.

Scenario where Vaseline did not work:
- Vaseline on chickens in Quebec = the combs are sure to get frostbitten. The salve adds moisture to the skin instead of protecting it, so covering the single combs of my birds with it during particularly cold nights is a very bad idea. If there is a way to protect single combs with Vaseline without icing them over, I have not found it.
Have seen a couple others, must not have saved them tho.

Back
Top Bottom